New Discussion

Re: BBWC Parts for Proliant DL380 G5 / HP Smart Array P400

SOLVED
Go to solution
N00rish
Visitor

BBWC Parts for Proliant DL380 G5 / HP Smart Array P400

Hello All, 

I have a Proliant DL380 G5 server with HP Smart Array P400 controller, the performance of the disk I/O is bad lately and I found out that during my research that I can improve it by enabling the write cache memory on the HP Smart Array P400 controller. 

I also found out that in order to keep the data on the disks attached to the array safe in case of power failures or server hang-up, I will need to add a battery-backed write cache (BBWC) module. 

I looked up the Smart Array spare part numbers here, but I got totally lost:

• The memory boards read that there are 512 and 256 MB modules, is it safe to install the 512 and forget the 256 one? Knowing that my array have 256 MB total cache size in it. 
  • I would assume that I need the Battery Cable and Battery Pack to be installed with with the memory board. Correct?
  • I couldn't find anything to show how the actually installation is done (step-by-step), can you provide any known link to do the job?

Thanks, 

1 REPLY 1
PZel
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: BBWC Parts for Proliant DL380 G5 / HP Smart Array P400

The P400 is already equipped with a small BBWC piggy back board (in your case: 256MB). The only thing you're missing is a battery and the cable from BBWC board to battery, so: 409124-001(cable) and 398648-001(battery).

You can exchange the 256MB BBWC piggyback board with an 512MB BBWC piggyback board just by peeling off the

piggybrd from the P400 (use wrist strap) and exchange it with the 512MB BBWC(battery+cable stays the same), but I think the battery is sufficient to improve the performance.

Look also at: (for installing a battery in the DL380G5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_mqhPk4-8

PZ