Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBWC enabler for 642 controller on DL380G4 package cluster

Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

BBWC enabler for 642 controller on DL380G4 package cluster

Hi,
I have a DL380G4 Package Cluster with MSA500G2.
It includes the redundancy package and multipath installed.
The cluster hosts Oracle 10G database.
For some reason it seams that the controller capacity it reached on "load" time.
The primary controller connected to the MSA500G2 is the Smart Array 642 which has a BBWC enabler with 128MB.
Looking on the configuration via the Smart Array Configuration it state "not configured"
How can I enable it - it has no option to do this.
Can I use the BBWC Enabler on the 642 controller to enhance the IO or the only cache that can be used in the one one on the MSA500G2 controller?
3 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: BBWC enabler for 642 controller on DL380G4 package cluster

Hi,

I think I am right in saying that in a cluster environment with shared storage you don't want the cache enabled on any cluster member as there could potentially be 128Mb of unwritten data in the cache if any cluster member suddenly fails.

Since data is shared among nodes and the MS cluster service synchronizes the writes in the cluster this would be a problem.

That's why it will be disabled.

Maybe someone else with more cluster experience can confirm/discredit this as I'm not 100% sure.

Regards,

Brian
Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Brian.
You seem correct about this matter.
What about enabling the cache for READ only?
Can I use the 642 Controller cache for this job?
Otherwise I think I wasted some $ for the BBWC enabler since it is unusable on external drives.
I might move the local disks of the servers to the 642 controller insted the integrated 6i controlor so I will get some benefit out of it.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The 128Mb Cache module (Spare Part 351518-001) is common to the 641, 642 and 6i embedded controllers. So you haven't really wasted your money.

You can fit the 128Mb cache module (memory)to the system board of the DL380 G4 for the embedded 6i controller. The battery holder and charger cable should already be inside the chassis (It's fitted in the factory and the cable runs down a small plastic guide near the cache memory slot). The battery then fits inside the plastic battery holder at the other end of the cable (At the front of the chassis).

Please see attached document which should help you fit this.

I hope this helps.

Brian