ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753266 Members
5082 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BIOS HAS CORRUPT [hw] PMU RESOURCES....

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Wonder why the radeon video driver is loading, the embeded video should be using the mga driver.  Have you added a video card?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
coconutdog
Occasional Advisor

I am getting this issue with a ProLiant DL320 G5 with a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.04, released today. It seems the Linux world moves slowly. This should have been sorted by now.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@coconutdog wrote:

I am getting this issue with a ProLiant DL320 G5 with a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.04, released today. It seems the Linux world moves slowly. This should have been sorted by now.

Not at all, the hardware is using a performance counter the OS wants to own. Linus stuck a message in the kernel saying the BIOS is corrupt. If you search back through the kernel mailing lists far enough you can find the original thread.

Switch to OS power control and the message will no longer display

sajinma

Is it applicable for DL380 Gen9 servers as well?

I got below message during reboot after OS install

[Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

Thanks,

Sajin

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@sajinma wrote:

Is it applicable for DL380 Gen9 servers as well?

I got below message during reboot after OS install

[Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

Thanks,

Sajin

Yes,  this is a harmless informational message . You can disable all of the processor power management and telemetry reporting in RBSU to avoid the messages

stormcruzerlore

the linsk for the bios do not work could you provide me with new links that work i have a hp proliant dl380 G5 with the same bioes issue and the given steps didnt work  and i need it for business asap

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@stormcruzerlore wrote:

the linsk for the bios do not work could you provide me with new links that work i have a hp proliant dl380 G5 with the same bioes issue and the given steps didnt work  and i need it for business asap

If you are refering to the message of the original post, it is not a bug, just an informational message. There is no BIOS update to resolve the non issue

[Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)  is just a message from the kernel as it wants to use all the performance counters, but the ProLiant firmware also uses some performacne counters..  

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03265132