3725 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BIOS POST boot time

chris-sc
Occasional Visitor

BIOS POST boot time

Hello

Is there any way to speed up POST boot time? It takes Minutes till the Server begins booting the OS. This is very very annoying especially when you are testing e.g. Auto Deploy (boot many times).

regards,

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You did not say what server you have. But usually you can't. Maybe you can remove some memory or I/O cards that you don't need for your testing to reduce the test and scan time. As an example, for the new SuperDome X POST takes up to one hour because of the 12 TB memory ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Like Torsten said, the BIOS POST time depends on what system you have, what options are installed, how much memory, etc.

There might be a few things you could tweak, but it's already just doing a quick memory test unless it detects a change in how much memory is installed.  The other things that normally happen in a Proliant during boot is when all of the option "cards" do their thing, like the array controller, ILO, and maybe the NIC module.

All of those things have to show something during boot so you can hit a key and configure them, so it's really just something that has to be there.

I guess whether it takes 30 seconds or 5 minutes, it's one of those things that server admins have probably learned to deal with over the years.  I know I have. :)

chris-sc
Occasional Visitor

I have a HP Proliant DL380 G9 Server. 

No Disks, No Raid Controller, but 2x 10GBit PCIe. 256GB RAM, 2x 2690v3 CPU's.

Btw. its not for Production Site, because starttime does not matter there. It only matters during Testing/Trying on a Development Site. So maybe there are some unsafe options, which could be enabled but are not recommended for production?