cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Problem??

Trevor Sullivan
Occasional Visitor

BIOS Problem??

Hey I have a Proliant 3000 Server with dual PIII 550's and I'm having some problems accessing the BIOS on it. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong here, but hitting F10 during startup doesn't get me into the BIOS. There's a blank period where there's no video, and then it simply initializes the processors and SCSI devices and goes on with the boot process. Can anyone help? Thanks!
4 REPLIES
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: BIOS Problem??

Hi,

In old servers F10
In new servers F9

Clear the configuration of server while hdd is diconnected. Then Reflash bios and check agian. ( This is not going to help much )

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

ProLiant 3000 was from before ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU). Basically, the EISA utilities required were too big to fit into ROM. Setup was delivered via SmartStart and you could have a "System Partition," a small area of the hard disk, contain utilities that were accessible via [F10].

The System Partition could be created manually or if the system was set up with SmartStart, it would be created automatically.

It sounds like this system does not have a System Partition. You will need to boot with a SmartStart CD (5.5) to get into system setup.
Trevor Sullivan
Occasional Visitor

cool, thanks for the help. I've done some research on the matter and found that I need startsmart, but where can I get it? Do I really have to pay $25 to order it? There's a 4 diskette(floppy) install thing (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html) that I was told to use, but this obviously isn't going to contain a 36MB(approx) install that I've heard StartSmart actually is. Will this 4 disk installation serve my needs? Thanks

Also, on a different note, I downloaded the Windows Server 2003 Software Support Pack that is available on the Proliant download section(approx 53MB) and I tried installing it, but it errored on some of the services while installing. I looked at the event log and it said that it was not necessary to install it. Will these services install ok once I install the configuration utility on that is provided by HP? I'm just wondering if these services require the config utility as a core to function properly. Thanks for the replies thus far!
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Trevor:

The sp19619.exe will install the 36 to 39 meg EISA partion; it is not exactly that size; it creats a partion that size.

But you cannot do this after the o/s has been setup ; you have to do this first before installing o/s.

In regards to the PSP - if it did not install means you don't have the hardware or software and don't need to have it installed. No further action required.

hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.