6746 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS Serial Console question - DL380 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Raneri

BIOS Serial Console question - DL380 G2

we've successfully used the IRC (integrated remote console) support in older model ProLiant servers.

we are now looking to use the BIOS Serial Console support to perform the same functions as were done with IRC. Although we think we have BIOS Serial Console Support enabled (we are able to interact with the boot up sequence, etc.), we cannot figure out how to access IRC-like functionality (boot server, power cycle, etc.) using the BIOS Serial Console support.

questions then are ... are there corresponding functions in BIOS Serial Console as there were in IRC? If so, how to access?

note: we've read the BIOS Serial Console User's Guide (PDF) ... not much help

also: we are familiar with various lights out options, but would very much prefer to utilize serial access to low level server functions.

thanks very much in advance for any help or insights you can provide,

Jim R.
4 REPLIES 4
Brandi Depew
Solution

BIOS Serial console does not provide the functions you mentioned (boot server, power cycle, etc.)

BIOS serial console simply provides keyboard and video redirection throughout POST.
Jim Raneri

Not at all what I wanted to hear, but to be honest I did expect that the IRC functionality was not progressed into the BIOS Serial Console component.

Thanks very much for your response,

Jim R.
Alex Owen
Occasional Contributor

I know that this funcionality is not available for DL740 of DL380-G3. However can someone from HP comment on if this is a hardware or firmware thing?

I mean is the serial port linked to the iLO processor in such a way that the iLO _could_ provide serial port power cycling _if_ the firmware allowd this.
--OR--
Is the _hardware_ design such that it is _impossible_ for the serial port to be a source of commands to control the power?

Thanks
Alex Owen
Alex Owen
Occasional Contributor

replying to my earlier reply...

iLO latest formware does let you control the power from the serial port...

Yes I know this is a bit light on the details but fills in the gaps a bit!