ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753663 Members
5955 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS is set at 2GB but have 4GB memory

Nuvera

BIOS is set at 2GB but have 4GB memory

I see that the BIOS on my system, the latest for the Proliant DL365 G1 (just updated today) has 4GB RAM on it, but shows 2GB Initialized / Configured and 2GB available. How do I get it to see ALL memory? I am on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 SP2 x32
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Make sure you are adhering to the configuration rules for memory population, especially for dual processor mode with advanced ECC.

Plese see the attached DL365 memory configuration guidelines.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry - Attachment was missing in my earlier reply.

Regards,

Brian
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

not exactly sure about the DL365 servers but some of the other proliants have online memory spares.

when this is enabled it is not counted at boot up nor used by the OS.

Your system may be configured to do this

To check you have to reboot the server to the ROM BASED SETUP UTILITY (RBSU).

In here you can check the memory options

Andy
Nuvera

Thank you for the reply. Is there a way to check if I can DUMB the system down to only see 2GB instead of 4GB for use on systems that can not handle over 2GB memory?
I wonder if that has happened.
I know there are systems that need to have NO hyperthreading, NO dual core, NO fancy stuff. It is annoying. We have reallocated that system and I'd like to allow all functionality of this current system.
Nuvera

Is there any way to check if we have a total of 4GB installed correctly, but told the ssytem to only use / count 2GB?
We had a system that could not handle more than 2GB and multiple processors or HyperThreading or Dual Core. We have since brought in a horribly slow system to manage this, and now we'd like to make use of the full 4GB that we have installed on this system.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1. Please tell what for configuration of DIMMs do you have. What size in which slot. Beware that you must have memory assigned to CPU(AMD) else it is not recognized. If you have only 1 CPU you should populate the coresponding slots only

2. Is it possible that you have configured Memory mirroring. Check under Advanced options in RBSU.

3.Try updating SystemROM and clearing NVRAM

4. Try with only the half of the modules to see if it shows only the half again

5. If you have another DL365 server try the DIMMs there to see if they are recognized.

That 's for now :)
Please follow the guidelines of Brian and Andrew and problem must be resolved. Please write the status after trying

Regards
Nuvera

Sadly I found out that I only had 2GB and that I was reading the configuration setup incorrectly! I saw that it configured 2GB and 2GB was available. It said, you have 2GB and I configured 2GB. I was being silly and thinking that I had 2GB and 2GB was available as it said 2GB available and 2GB Initialized and so I thought that it initialized 2GB and 2GB was available and then 2GB was configured, with the "2GB" not being touched at all. Oh well, silly me.
Thank you to those who worked hard at this! I apologize that I messed up.