1751973 Members
5736 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS recovery - Proliant Microserver N36L

DavidGryts

BIOS recovery - Proliant Microserver N36L

Hi,

I was about to update the BIOS in our Microserver with the "Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant MicroServer"-tool. Unfortunately, as so often, Windows suddenly freezed (!) and after appr. ~20 minutes of an unresponsive machine (mouse, keyboard etc.) I didn┬┤t have any other choice but to reboot the server. Lets just say the machine doesn┬┤t even POST now =/

Diagnosis:

In standby powerbutton lights amber (normal)

1. After pressing the powerbutton it turns green (normal)
2. Fans start to spin (normal)
3. No beeps (not sure if normal)
4. Hard drives initiates and scratches for a second (normal)
5. Optional DVD initiates and starts spinning.
6. During this time the USB-flash key (if connected) also blinks for a short while.
7. USB connected keyboard does not initiate (LEDs=dark) (not normal)
8. The "HP Health LED" is dark/inactive all the time (not normal)

I┬┤ve tried the following attempts to restore the AMI BIOS:

1. Downloaded the "Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant MicroServer (For USB Key-Media)", installed it on a USB key (FAT32 formatted) according to the instructions and plugged it into the machine before power-on.

2. Tried taken the same files and burned it on to a CD (both regular and bootable).

3. Taken only the BIOS rom file (from downloaded package) to a USB and CD, renamed it to AMIBOOT.ROM, HPBIOS.ROM.

The installation manual also shows a BIOS recovery jumper (J25) where Open=Normal, Short=BIOS Recovery. Funny thing is that the machine came with the jumper shortened on the board,.. typing error or did someone in the HP-factory messed up?? Anyway, I think I┬┤ve tried all the procedures above with the jumper both on and off the 2pins..and well...surprise, none of these methods works. Regardles of input media nothing happends with the machine. I┬┤ve also tried hitting Ctrl+Home (standard AMI BIOS command) but it doesn┬┤t seem to affect the events since the keyboard is probably not even initiated.

I┬┤m pretty screwed right? The only hope I have is that "something" seems to be searching the CD (not just constant spinning) during power-on when a media is present. I sence that the key here could be some fancy name on the .rom file but since I┬┤ve alredy tried the normal ones, what to do?

Is there any friendly soul out there who has any suggestions??

Best regards / David
13 REPLIES 13
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey!

I am not at all familiar with the micro servers, but on the HP Proliant servers it's possible to clear the NVRAM using a jumper on the system board. Is there anything similar to that on this one?
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

There is a "Clear CMOS jumper" check the attached image for location.

Clear CMOS jumper (J19)
1-2 Normal
2-3 Clear CMOS

Good Luck

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Forgot to attach image.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

DavidGryts

I├В┬┤ve cleared CMOS both with jumper setting and removal of battery. But isn├В┬┤t CMOS only user specific data stored in the EPROM? not the actual startup instructions right? Anyway.. no change of state clearing the CMOS =(

The issue here is probably a total corrupt BIOS and whether boot block is featured in HPs hardware or not?

""AMI has an embedded recovery technique in the 'boot block' of the BIOS. In the event that the BIOS becomes corrupt the boot block can be used to restore the BIOS to a working state. The routine is called when the 'system block' of the BIOS is empty or corrupt. The restore routine when called will access the floppy drive or equal looking for a file named AMIBOOT.ROM.""

And even if it is, how does the procedure work.. not like normal AMI BIOS M/B anyway. HP hasn├В┬┤t directly been educational in the subject. Like mentioned before there IS a jumper for BIOS recovery (se attached file)but a describtion on how it works can├В┬┤t be found anywhere

/ David
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe that is something HP Support can assist you with? Unless somebody here knows more about it.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi David,

Bios recovery will not work unless you put the jumper on (Short=BIOS Recovery) and update the system BIOS while jumper is short.

once system bios is sucessfully updated/flashed and system has been power cycled, you may put the jumper back on normal.

hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

DavidGryts

Hi there,

I've already done that since the jumper was short when it arrived from the reseller (shouldn't that one be left open when delivered btw?). Regardless of jumper position the server makes no attempt to beep or initiate any flash sequence.

I bet it requires some sort of keystroke combination to force a bios update, but how do i accomplish that without any initiated USB-host controller on a server missing PS-2 port =/
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi David,

I understand the situation.

If disaster recovery for system bios does not work then only way to fix the issue to get the system board replaced.

this is considered as system down situation and I would suggest to log a case with HP lets HP engineer does the job for you.

thanks.

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

mrblack

I have the exact same issue.

How did yours get resolved in the end? Did the bios recovery jumper setting work for you?

In the documentation it says it is J25 but on the board it is labelled as J26...