1752777 Members
6186 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS update

GodismyDJ
Regular Visitor

BIOS update

I have recently become server admin at my church but really have no specific training in this area. I have some specific questions regarding the RAM and updating the BIOS on the server that I wasn't able to locate in the general guide although I am going to keep that as a handy reference for future issues.

We have recently purchased some new RAM that should be compatible with our Server (the specs have been checked) but the server doesn't want to accept them. The more seasoned associate here did some reviews and thought that it was because our BIOS was still the 10-7-2007 version. We've tried updating the BIOS to the 5-2-2011 version as the information stated that the previous version had issues with RAM. We flashed the BIOS, however, then the server claimed it couldn't find the boot drive. We switched to the backup BIOS as the primary which is still the old version. I've gone into the BIOS and compared all the specs and everything appears to be the same setup for both BIOS but I can't seem to get the newer BIOS to boot the server. Please help. Let me know if you need any further information to help me resolve the issue. The primary problem is the RAM. If there's another path to getting that to work, I'm all for it but now that we've embarked on attempting to update the BIOS, I think the more seasoned associate would like to complete that task as well. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You could start with telling the server model, RAM module size and count, etc ... more details, please.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
GodismyDJ
Regular Visitor

Told you I was a nube. So the server is an ProLiant ML350 G5, the RAM is 4GB each and we have a total of 8 of them. They are 4-8GB kits. Let me know if you need more specifics on the RAM. Thanks.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

> Let me know if you need more specifics on the RAM

Please do.  Non-HP memory can be problematic.

As far as the BIOS goes, can you interact with the BIOS and see the drives there?  Are the drives configured in any sort of RAID configuration (attached to a Smart Array controller)?

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
GodismyDJ
Regular Visitor

Ok, the info on the RAM is 4GB PC2-5300F 2Rx4 Q 397415-B21 8GB kit 1 of 2. If you need more info, let me know. I'm not sure how else to quantify them though so I'd have to check with someone. It is a RAID configuration. We have an HP Smart Array P400 Controller and an HP Smart Array E200i controller. The P400 is in slot 4 and the E200i is embedded.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The memory is compatible with that server.  Are you adding this memory to existing memory or just using the two 4GB DIMMs?  Basically memory is installed in pairs and the two DIMMs in each pair must be the same.

Install the first two DIMMs in Bank A (Slots 1 and 5).

If more, the DIMMs install as follows:

- Bank B (slots 2 and 6)

- Bank C (slots 3 and 7)

- Bank D (slots 4 and 8)

During boot up look for a chance to run the Option ROM for Array Configuration utility (ORCA).   You will be prompted to press F8 after each SA card initializes.

The BIOS update may have some how changed the state of the RAID volume.  Look to view the Logical Drive to show its status.

Another option to download and create a SmartStart CD and boot from that.  There is a utility called ACU that can also be used to manage Smart Array controllers and volumes.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/index.html

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Hazem Bahgat
Frequent Advisor

I think that the problem is with the Array controller, i recommend to upgrade the Firmware of your Whole server, specially your controller (don't do this except after checking firmware update matrix).

then reboot yourserver on HP SMart Start 8.7 and go to ACU utility (Array Configuration Utility) check the controllers, they will need to get online, and refreshed (may be repair, just to check the boot fles).

after you finish the repair, you will the need to exit the ACU and restart your server.

• Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
  • Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Best Regards and Appreciation,
Hazem Bahgat

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
GodismyDJ
Regular Visitor

Thanks Hazem, but I thought the Smart Start was only for later generations. Can I do that on a G5?

Hazem Bahgat
Frequent Advisor

yes you can use Smart Start for G5.

Smart Start is used for G4, G5, G6, G7, BUT for G8 there is now Intelligent Provisioning (IP).

Best Regards and Appreciation,
Hazem Bahgat

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@GodismyDJ wrote:

We flashed the BIOS, however, then the server claimed it couldn't find the boot drive.

We have an HP Smart Array P400 Controller and an HP Smart Array E200i controller. The P400 is in slot 4 and the E200i is embedded

During POST what do the controllers display during initialization? How many logical drives does each controller display?

Which controller are the drives connected to? By default the BIOS will set the E200i as the boot controller. If the drives are connected to the P400 you need to set it as the the boot controller in RBSU

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!