ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753785 Members
7016 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS will not keep correct time

William StClair

BIOS will not keep correct time

I have a Proliant DL380 G5 running Windows server 2003 R2 enterprise sp2. The BIOS clock stays 1 hour behind the correct time (East Coast). I go into the BIOS change the time to the correct time and it almost instantly goes back to one hour behind.

I have flashed the BIOS, installed the Rompack firmware update, installed the support pack. I am not sure what else to do. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks for any help!!
8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You need to either put on SP3 or run the daylight savings time fix for Windows 2003 R2.

William StClair

This seems to not be a Windows issue the BIOS is what will not keep the correct time. Also there is no SP3 for Windows server 2003 only sp2.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Does it change while you're still IN the BIOS, or does it happen as soon as W2003 is loaded?

William StClair

It happens once the OS is loaded. I will go into the setup change the time in the bios then by the time Windows is up it is behind one hour. Could Windows be causing the bios clock to roll back?

Thanks,
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

At this time of the year, "1 hour behind" sounds exactly like a DST issue.

Modern versions of Windows can be configured to automatically get correct time information from time servers on the Internet. The time information is distributed in the form of UTC time, so each system must convert it to the local timezone - and for that, it needs correct information about the current timezone and DST rules.

The DST rules are usually built in to the timezone definitions, but sometimes governments change things and updates are needed. Some changes to US DST rules took effect in 2007: with the pre-2007 rules, the day to "Spring Forward" was the first Sunday of April, now it's the second Sunday of March.

So your system has probably missed the memo and is still in Eastern Standard Time according to the old rules, while you're using the current rules and are already living in Eastern Daylight Time.

Soon the problem will hide itself, as starting from the next Sunday, both the new and old rules will agree that Daylight Time is to be used.

You might want to install the OS fix as suggested by Michael to prevent a similar problem when it's time to fall back to the Standard Time.

MK
MK
RobertMcHenry
Advisor

Might want to check & make sure you have the correct time zone selected.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

William StClair

Thanks for all the responses it was indeed the Windows DST issue. The weird thing is I had applied all patches an updates to this server just like all my other servers but his is the only one that had a problem. After reinstalling the DST patch issue was resolved.

Thanks again!