1753947 Members
7423 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL 20p G2 bootup problems

Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

BL 20p G2 bootup problems

My server is functioning just fine but whenever I boot it, it gets stuck at this point (check attchmnt). I need to reboot it and only then does it bootup to OS. Does anybody have an idea why? Or has seen this issue before?
8 REPLIES 8
raadek
Honored Contributor

Maybe you should disable PXE boot? Did you try Ctrl+S for configuring it?
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Thnx for your reply Raadek, nope I have not tried this time. But in the past I have tried ctrl-s but I did not open any configuration screen. But will give this suggestion a try. But was wondering why is it that my other blades that have PXE boot enable dont show this same problem?
raadek
Honored Contributor

I am not saying that the blade should not boot smoothly even with PXE enabled. But looking at the point where it usually stops I would disable PXE just to check whether it helps or not.

It is pretty old (G2) so maybe it receives some IP traffic which is invisible for newer blades.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Albert:

You should check the drivers and firmware page to see if there are any updates. There may be a newer firmware for the network interface that fixes your problem.

The easiest thing would probably be the firmware CD, you can attach it to the server via the ilo's Virtual CD and boot up the server...

" http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24777.html "

From the looks of it, you are not even getting to the point where the card is trying to PXE boot so my initial thought is that PXE is not an issue.

Also, it looks like you have this blade attached to an EVA3000? running VCS 2.001? if so, then the servers drivers and firmware are probably equally out of date.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Erase NVRAM from F9 and swap Upgrade Module QLogic/NIC from affected to second server
Tell us what happened next

Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Thnx guys for your response. I will have time only tommorow to test/troubleshoot this server, so will keep you all up to date on this issue.

Steven whats VCS 2.001?

Oleg could you please elaborate a bit more on "Erase NVRAM from F9" what this does and is it safe to go erasing stuff on a production server? :)

Thnx
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"Steven whats VCS 2.001?"

Based on the screenshot you posted, I can tell that your server looks to be booting from a SAN. The storage that it is booting from is on an EVA 3000. The firmware level on the EVA looks to be 2.001. VCS is the "Virtual Controller Software" that the EVA runs.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

I am still seeing this issue whenever I boot my blade servers.
I have all latest firmware on Blade enclosure and servers.
Firmware on storage controllers as shown by command view is version 3025.

Does someone have any idea on this matter.

Thnx,
Albert