1753701 Members
5103 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL 25 Smart Array Accelerator Battery issues

Greg Bates
Advisor

BL 25 Smart Array Accelerator Battery issues

We recently rolled out over 200 new BL25s and have noticed an issue with the Smart Array Accelerator batteries. We have had at least 15 failures or low battery warnings in these servers. We are running on firmware version 2.58. In one case I upgraded the FW to see if it would clear the issue, but it did not.

I am not able to upgrade the FW on every server unless I have a really good reason. Has anyone else come across a similar issue were it might be a problem that a firmware upgrade might fix?

Sometimes the alert, via SIM BTW, will disappear after a reboot and not surface again until the server is rebooted again.

Let me know if you have had a similar issue, I have 2 servers with this alert right now and am getting sick of calling them into HP.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Scott A. Fog
Advisor

Re: BL 25 Smart Array Accelerator Battery issues

FW 2.68 (current version) fixed this problem for me.

If you find that it fixes the problem you should use HP SIM to upgrade the blades, it's much easier. If you don't have SIM running with that many blades you should. Managing from SIM makes many tasks easier, like flashing 200 servers at once. ;^)
Greg Bates
Advisor

I have opened a case with HP. This issue was supposed to be fixed with FW 2.58.

If anyone else has had some issues, let me know. I'd like to have more info when working on this. Thanks.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Apply latest firmware 2.68, restart server, and access ACU after restart, access 2nd time in 24 hours for status.

Batteries by design take 72 hours for full charge, where warning should stop once it reach 75%. Unless server new and less than 40 - 55 hours in production with BBWC installed, you should not experience problem with 2.58 as it seen with 2.32.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/8924.html
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The firmware upgrade is designed to fix a problem with the controller overcharging, undercharging, or deep discharging the battery.
All of these things would cause premature battery failures.

I would say if you rebooted the server and after another 24 hours the problem continues, then it's likely you have a real failure of the battery.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..