1753951 Members
7795 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL/DL CPU Redundancy

Rob Rugg
Advisor

BL/DL CPU Redundancy

In a BL/DL server with more than 1 cpu will the server remain running or does the whole system fail?

4 REPLIES 4
Diego Salim de Oliveira
Valued Contributor

Rob, the question should be how the SO will react before a CPU failure.

HP-UX (HP9000 / HP Integrity), if a CPU fail, the system continues online, except if the CPU 0 (where Kernel resides fails, what will cause a system reboot).

For the hardware point of view, in a ProLiant is the same thing, the Hardware still function.
The problem is the SO.

I'm not a Linux or Windows expert, but, every time that I consulted documentation about Windows Server and Linux, no one supported CPU dynamic deallocation. I supose that even the latest versions don't support.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Rob

by the memory you can configure Advanced memory protection(spare, raid) by some server models and memory will not be a single point of failure.
However never heard of CPU redundancy -if even one of the CPUs fails there will be black screen and internal health LED will be red(or bluescreens e.g. 0x9C or 0x50 if it's not completely dead)

Regards

Rob Rugg
Advisor

Thanks to both of you for the information
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Operating Systems like Windows, Linux and ESX can't cope with a processor failure; the OS will go down. ProLiant servers have a feature called Automatic Server Recovery-2 (ASR-2) that will detect that, flag the processor failed, and then reboot the OS without the failed processor. Doesn't prevent an outage, but maximizes uptime by recovering automatically.