New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL20 image on BL30 blade?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Jackson_1
Occasional Advisor

BL20 image on BL30 blade?

Hi

We have 8 BL20p blades with an image that was loaded onto it using the Rapid Deployment Pack.

Is it possible to put this image onto a BL30p blade?
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Simon:

With the differences in the design, I think it will be more of a chanllenge to get the image to work on a BL30.

Since your bl20p's have scsi drives and a SCSI raid controller and the bl30's have ATA drives and ATA raid, you would probably have soe bootup issues if you tried the image.

Since you can't physically install an ATA controller into a bl20p, it would be harder to get the drivers installed properly. Not saying that it could never work, just that you might spend more time trying to get it to work, then just building the bl30's directly.

Now, if you are going to be booting from SAN, you might have some more luck. The hardware (other then the hdd controller) is very similar in each so there should be minimal issues there.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Simon Jackson_1
Occasional Advisor

Yeah I guessed the problem would be around the drives and the controllers.

My issue is that the servers in question are Citrix servers with a number of installed applications with particular configurations, and due to the work that's gone on in the past, replicating the current installation from scratch will also be quite time consuming.

In terms of what I need to look at to get this to work, are you suggesting that I have to try and get the ATA drivers installed onto the BL20 image first?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes. You would also need to make any appropiate changes to the boot.ini file, (which might me nothing).

Those are the first steps I would take... as well as...

Building one of the BL30's with a unattend.txt script then looking at the config for other differences.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Simon Jackson_1
Occasional Advisor

ahh yes that's a good plan, i can build a fresh bl20 and bl30 with the same unattended install and compare differences and try to blend these into my live bl20