Jeffrey Carlson
Occasional Advisor

BL20P, Enclosures and iLO

Question: What is the optimal way to configure, connect and cable:

-> Blades to iLo
-> iLo to enclosure
-> enclosure to enclosure
-> Racks to network

We have G2 models, and advanced enclosures. We are daisy chaining the 'mgmt' ports up and down the rack, and also the power. The iLO single rj45 on the back of each enclosure, however, isn't cabled to anything, on any enclosure, period.

It should be, right? Right. But how? That is the question. Daisy chained? Each enclosure to a switch?

My goal is to have a dedicated VLAN where I can iLO into any blade at any time for any reason (via SIM). Is this possible? Is there a best practices/white paper on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Duke_1
Advisor

Re: BL20P, Enclosures and iLO

As I understand the enhanced enclosures (My first one arrives in a week or so) you patch the iLO port to a switch (One per enclosure) and then VLAN the ports as needed.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You would connect the single iLO port on each management interface to your dedicated VLAN.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jeffrey Carlson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to those who have tried to help me on this.

However, we attempted to connect the (single) RJ-45 port on the back of each *blade_enclosure* that says iLO to a switch.

The switch had DHCP active, but we saw no leases. Is there some documentation somewhere which tells how to properly configure an enclosure full of blades for ilo? I think I've downloaded every document in the library for BLADES, ENCLOSURES and ILO, but I can't find this information.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff