1748049 Members
4775 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL20P boot from SAN with RDP

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Another way to get them to show up would be to locally set up an OS and load the fibre drives. The hba's do not link up to the switch until a driver is loaded or the boot bios is loaded.

I have some screenshots if they might help. The are on my home PC at the moment and do not have easy access to them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
skippyllh
Occasional Advisor

I found the wwid's in the qlogic bios setup. Thanks!

But, I still have to find a way to get the blades to see the storage without an OS so that they can get an image from the RDP server.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

when you boot the blade and go into the bios with the boot option enabled, the hba should log into the fabric and the MSA should see it. Have the server sit at the QLA bios utility screen while checking the ACU on another machine.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
skippyllh
Occasional Advisor

got acu to see the server! now i tried to deploy an image and got a 255 error on the rdp server.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Have you installed the Boot from SAN scripts for RDP? There is a help file included with the package on how to modify your scripts to do "Boot from SAN" on your blades with no internal drives. Have you see this yet?

At which point does it stop? Are you watching the install form the remote console?

Theorder of things... should be..

1. The script starts and the first thing it should do is reboot the server and dump an image down to the SAN disk. This image is a dos image that allows the Windows Installation to start in the next few steps.

2. The server should reboot and when it comes back, the normal process of dumping the Windows install files should happen.

3. The text mode Windows Install should then start and things would look like normal from there. (like you were installing locally)

4. After completing, install SP or the MPIO driver and your all done.

The "Boot from SAN scripts for RDP" file is important because it integrates some scripts and the necessary fibre drivers into your RDP server so that a blade can boot up, start a win install and already have the fibre drivers to complete the GUI setup mode.

How far is the install getting? Watch it on the remote console. Attach some screen shots if you can.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
skippyllh
Occasional Advisor

Doesn't really get anywhere. It gets through conrep and then gets a 255 error.