HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BL20p ACU problems

Stephen Lantz
Occasional Contributor

BL20p ACU problems

I have a BL20p that has 2 36GB drives in a (1+0) array configuration. 1 of the drives has failed. When I replace the drive with a good drive it doesn't try to rebuild the array instead it add's the disk with a new SCSI ID and acts like it is unassigned.

When I look at the physical view I see this:

36.4 GB Parallel SCSI Unassigned Drive at Port 2 : SCSI ID 1

Parallel SCSI Array A
36.4 GB Parallel SCSI Drive at Port 2 : SCSI ID 0
??? Parallel SCSI Drive at Port 2 : SCSI ID 3

Logical View I see this:

36.4 GB Parallel SCSI Unassigned Drive at Port 2 : SCSI ID 1

Parallel SCSI Array A
Logical Drive 1 ( 34727 MB, RAID 1+0 )
Unused Space, ???

I've tried moving the one good drive over to a whole new blade in order to take the controller out of the equation but I get the same result. Any ideas on how to get the new drive seen correctly?

thanks
4 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: BL20p ACU problems

hi

would you mind uploading Array Diagnostic Report?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Stephen,

It looks like the drive which failed may also have had some kind of SCSI address issue since it may have been identified as SCSI ID 3 even though the BL20p only supports two drives at SCSI ID 0 and 1.

Please submit the ADU report as requested above as it might be easier to identify this issue from the report.

You might be able to take the drives to another larger Proliant server (with multiple drive bays) and rebuild using SCSI ID's 0 and 3 without trying to boot into the O/S. If it rebuilds then the pair can then be taken back to the Bl20p and inserted at 0 and 1 which the controller can then handle.

Regards,

Brian
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

not sure, but there seems to be a "SCSI ID change" issue with 6x controller firmware v2.80. The other thing why the HDD won't start rebuild is an old firmware/ defect new drive, bad backplane slot.
The controller raid information says that it must wait for the other mirrored set in ID 1, it don't get it, so it can't add it to the RAID...Try updating the HDD firmware with Firmware CD 7.91 and then downgrade the controller(maybe 6i) to 2.76... If you can't get it again, try different HDD...

Regards,
Pac
Stephen Lantz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the the information provided so far. I attached the Array diagnostics for more info.