1753301 Members
6771 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BL20p Blade power on issues

Richard Kuczma

BL20p Blade power on issues

Hi Guys,

This might seem like a strange one so bear with me...

We have an a HP Blade rack with 3 BL20p G3 servers in at the moment.

The problem occurs when cold starting one of these servers after maintenance (the last time was replacing a failed raid accelerator battery for example).

Upon inserting the blade back into the rack the Amber 'Health' light comes on, followed several seconds later by the Red 'power' light.

At this point, the server will not boot... unless you connect remotely via the iLO and use the Virtual Power button, in which case it does boot.

Once back up, the IML, the iLO IML and the system management homepage show absolutley no errors and indicate that there are no power supply (actual or redundant) issues.

Am I missing something, does the power error indicate that it is unhappy at the actual racks power configuration?

Why will it turn on remotely, but not from the power button on the front on the machine?
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

The problem occurs when cold starting one of these servers after maintenance (the last time was replacing a failed raid accelerator battery for example). â Just for curiosity had you Update it Prior Replacement
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX040528_CW01 2.68 latest

Upon inserting the blade back into the rack the Amber 'Health' light comes on, followed several seconds later by the Red 'power' light. â Normal

At this point, the server will not boot... unless you connect remotely via the iLO and use the Virtual Power button, in which case it does boot. â Try to press and hold power for 6 seconds it will power up, had you hold for long enough ?

Am I missing something, does the power error indicate that it is unhappy at the actual racks power configuration? Firmware for enclosures at least 2.30 / iLO make it at least 1.75, latest 1.84
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24088.html
Richard Kuczma

Thank you, the Firmware is up to date (Verified by HP) for the Accelerator card.

I had seen in another topic a similar problem related to the management module, do you think this could be faulty?

It is strange that the error indicated is power based, but no power issues are detected once the server is booted?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

normally Management Module(MM) won't be reason for Front RED LED

you can pull Management Module out and see if RED led will show up at front after server reseat
or
swap MM between two enclosures

from ILo or BIOS check for Option/Virtual Devices
Automatically Power On Server: "Yes" No