ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753862 Members
7143 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL20p-G2 RJ-45 Patch Panel: ports not labeled correctly?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Larry Day
Occasional Advisor

BL20p-G2 RJ-45 Patch Panel: ports not labeled correctly?

I just installed 2 "RJ45 Patch Panel 2" interconects on my BL20p enclosure, using BL20p-G2 servers. The installation card, as well as the sticker supplied by HP, show the ports as follows (back view, from left-to-right, switch B on the left, reading across):
S4 (ILO) S3 S1 S2

When trying to connect the servers to the network, the patch panel ports are ACTUALLY:
S4 (ILO) S1 S2 S3

Am I losing my mind, or are the ports not correctly labeled by HP?

Thank You in advance for any assistance you can provide!
5 REPLIES 5
Colleen Whaley
Advisor

Port 1 is the PXE port, but it's not on the far right (facing the back of the blades). It's the 2nd from the right. iLO is the far right column. go to the Interconnect User Guide for the patch panel layout. hp ProLiant BL p-class System RJ-45 Patch Panel 2 Installation Instructions 308254-001.
This card provides procedures for installing a pair of RJ-45 patch panel 2s in the HP ProLiant BL p-Class server blade enclosure. Has diagram of front connectinos.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Larry Day
Occasional Advisor

Marino,

Right On !!!

You referred me to:

"http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0217W&locale=en_US"

This is the exact answer! BL20p-G2 blades get their NICs enumerated differently than the standard BL20p, and thus what I observed matches the link above from HP.

I still feel that HP should include this "gotcha" in the installation docs for the RJ45 patch panels, and warn the customer "up-front."

Thank You for an excellent answer!!

Ciao.
burn_up
Advisor

does anyone have the link for this article? the one on the post is not working
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

CUSTOMER NOTICE

CN0217W REVISION: 0

ProLiant BL p-Class G2 Server Blade NICs May Be Enumerated In A Different Order Than A ProLiant BL p-Class Server Blade When Operating In A Windows 2000 Server Environment

RELEASE DATE:

03 October 2003

LAST UPDATED: 11 August 2004
DESCRIPTION
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server may enumerate the Network Interface Controllers (NICs) in an HP ProLiant BL p-Class G2 Server Blade in a different order than it does for an HP ProLiant BL p-Class Server Blade.
DETAILS
Windows 2000 Server enumerates the NICs in the ProLiant BL p-Class Server Blades and ProLiant BL p-Class G2 Server Blades in the following order:

NIC Enumeration in a ProLiant BL p-Class Server Blade (First Generation)

Local Area Connection 1 --- Switch A, First Port in Pair
Local Area Connection 2 --- Switch A, Second Port in Pair
iLO ----------------------- Switch B, First Port in Pair
Local Area Connection 3 --- Switch B, Second Port in Pair

NIC Enumeration in a ProLiant BL p-Class G2 Server Blade

Local Area Connection 2 --- Switch A, First Port in Pair
Local Area Connection 3 --- Switch A, Second Port in Pair
iLO ----------------------- Switch B, First Port in Pair
Local Area Connection 1 --- Switch B, Second Port in Pair

This difference is caused by the order in which the NICs are discovered by the operating system. Since the operating system discovers the NIC attached to "Switch B - Second Port in Pair" first, the operating system labels it as "Local Area Connection 1." The next NIC discovered is the one attached to "Switch A - First Port in Pair." As a result, it is labeled as "Local Area Connection 2"

This behavior DOES NOT negatively impact server performance or functionality. However, when configuring the server, the differences between how the NICs are enumerated need to be understood, so that the appropriate NIC can be selected.

NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.

├В┬йCopyright 2003, 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Hewlett-Packard Company shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. The information provided is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. To the extent permitted by law, neither HP nor its affiliates, subcontractors or suppliers will be liable for incidental, special or consequential damages including downtime cost; lost profits; damages relating to the procurement of substitute products or services; or damages for loss of data, or software restoration. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Hewlett-Packard Company and the names of Hewlett-Packard products referenced herein are trademarks of Hewlett-Packard Company in the United States and other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.