6174 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL20p G2 firmware upgrade on Diagnostic station

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Edwards_2

BL20p G2 firmware upgrade on Diagnostic station

I have BL20pG2 on a diagnostic station and have upgraded the firmware using a firmware update disk (7.40) mounted in the ILO virtual media. Note that there is no OS installed on this server.

As far as I can work out, there is no way to use the supplemental FW update option of the Rom Update Utility on a BL20p G2 when you go through ILO. The supplemental option requires a floppy or USB key but the ILO only allows one virtual media device at a time.

Does anyone know of a workaround or will I have update again when the server is in an enclosure and has an OS installed?
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: BL20p G2 firmware upgrade on Diagnostic station

You should not experience any problem to mount two virtual devices at same time, after 1.65 firmware for ILO. You can Update ILO with Offline, just Read Instructions properly how to do that with bin file, Firmware CD should take care for some also, after O/S installed you should not experience problem with Offline Updates (except HDD, they should be done by Offline or Firmware CD). At Virtual Media mount there is Drop Down Box don't miss to Select it Floppy top, CD lower.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

not experience problem with Offline

... typo should be read as Online
Gary Edwards_2

Thanks, Kov.

The BL20p G2 ILO's were at 1.75 which does not support two virtual media devices at the same time (but your reply says 1.65 and later ????)

So I upgrade to to 1.80 using the Rom Upgrade Utility on the 7.40 Firmware CD. Now I have access to two virtual media devices. Then start over again and upgrade to 1.82 using the Supplemental update function. This takes about 30-45 minutes all up.

(Note: there is a function in ILO to upgrade the ILO firmware only which is much quicker. This failed for me when going from 1.75 to 1.82, so I had to resort to the supplemental upgrade feature.)