1752567 Members
5190 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL20p G2 to G3

Brett Hanson_1
Occasional Contributor

BL20p G2 to G3

I mirror critical servers in production with ones in my testlab. Simple process, power off, break mirror, and power up. Put mirror in testlab server and power up, replace drives after OS is up and let the rebuild continue. However, every few months when we go from 1 blade purchase to another, the generations or the itterations change. I cannot pull a G2 hard drive to place it in a G3 and have it boot up. I get to the loading Windows page and then it reboots.
Anyone know of a way to migrate from older to newer generations?
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: BL20p G2 to G3

Hi,

Well board is different that's why it is happening
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliant-bl/p-class/20p/comparison-g3.html

If you want then boot in safe mode then check if it helps. But what you are trying is not a migration path.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Brett Hanson_1
Occasional Contributor

I know this is not a migration. I have an application process I need to test and this is the best way I can forsee to relicate the server exactly from production to testlab.
Perhaps deleting the hal.dll and eltting that rebuild with the boot up might work?
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Brett,

I've used your method for several migrations.

Your problem is that registry settings for the 6i RAID controller is in a different location.

Run the attached registry file before breaking the mirror, and all should be well :-)

6i.reg is for migrating G2->G3 and 5i.reg is for the opposite.

Ole Thomsen
Martin Forster_1
Frequent Advisor

thx i just needed it :-)
BNewby
Frequent Advisor

The file gets the OS up, are you doing a psp after to get all the drivers happy? Or should we do a psp before? If so, is that resolving everything?

Thank you in advance