2878 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL20p RAID configuration

Pramod M
Regular Advisor

BL20p RAID configuration

Hi Experts,
I have some BL20p blades. I want to use the mirror copy of a disk to use in one another Server and make it identical. In both servers (BL20p) the RAID Controllers are configured in RAID 0+1. And in the first server, OS is running and fully synchronized. I unplugged the 2nd disk (slot 2, SCSI ID 1)and connected it in the second server in slot 2 (Slot 1 is empty now) and powered on the system. After the OS came up I inserted one new hard disk of same model to the slot 1. It is not showing any HDD activities after waiting for sometime (I want to confirm it started re-sync). I restarted the server and entered to the Array utility and checked the status of logical volume. It showing as interim recovery. But when entering to the Logical volume. It only shows 1 HDD details and the other one slot 1, SCSI ID 0 status as missing. How can I start the re-syncing without loss of data.
Please help.
Thanks in advance..
Pramod
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Do you have the Proliant Support Pack installed on the server?

If so, remove the drive bay 1 again, reboot the server and let the OS boot up. Re-insert the drive after the OS is up and running. Click Start --> Programs --> HP System Tools --> HP Array Configuration Utility --> HP Array Configuration Utility

From there, you should be able to see the status of the drives. You should not need to reboot into ORCA.

If you do not have the PSP loaded, you may want to do that before you try moving the drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Pramod M
Regular Advisor

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the responds..
I am not sure about PSP is installed or not. The OS is RHEL. Can i do something by booting the server from an HP Smartstart CD and then through Array configuration utility.

Pramod
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Sorry. I always assume it is a Windows OS when none is specified... or I usually ask...

None the less, there is a support pack for Linux which also has an ACU.

You can check to see if the ACU is installed. The name of the rpm is cpqacuxe*

You can usually access ACU from a remote machine by Web Browser at http://SERVERNAME:2301

or locally if you are running xwindows(or some other graphical ui with a browser) at http://127.0.0.1:2301

"Can I do something by booting the server from an HP Smartstart CD and then through Array configuration utility."

You can get to the ACU this was as well, but to be sure that the rebuild happens properly, you should have the OS running before inserting the replacement disk.

Which model bl20p do you have? G2? g3? g4?

Which version of RHEL?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Pramod M
Regular Advisor

Hi Steven,
Thanks agian for the help....
I will update the details tomorrow. I am off site now.

Pramod
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

"And in the first server, OS is running and fully synchronized. I unplugged the 2nd disk "

Before you pull the 2nd disk, power down the server.

Make sure the firmware on the array controllers is the same, if the system you move the 2nd disk to has older firmware, it probably won't restart the mirror when you plug a drive in slot 1.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!