cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BL35p and IBM San Switches w/ Zoning

Scott Dingman
Occasional Contributor

BL35p and IBM San Switches w/ Zoning

When two BL35p's are in the same sleeve and zoning is enabled on the SAN switch (Brocade software), the second server to boot will disconnect the first server from the SAN. The second server will continue running until the first server errors out and reboots whic then disconnects the seconed server. This will continue until one of the servers is powered off. If zoning is turned off both servers boot fine with no issues. I have loaded all the latest software and firmware that I could find for the blades and the SAN switches with no change in results. I have seen this issue posted on other forums but no one has posted and solution so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: BL35p and IBM San Switches w/ Zoning

Scott Dingman
Occasional Contributor

We currently have the top blade booting from the A side of the chassis and the bottom booting from the B side. Starting with both blades powered off, the top blade will be booted and logged into. The second blade will then be powered on and booted. When the second blade boots to the login screen, 3-5 seconds later the top blade will blue screen stating it in no longer able to communicate with the SAN and then reboots. The second blade will continue to run until the first blade reaches the login screen and then the second blade will go through the same process as the first blade.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Scott had you resolved problem ?

what was cause ? Power ? or Configuration ?

Scott Dingman
Occasional Contributor

I think the issue is that the BL35p blades connect by arbitrated loop which our SAN switches currently do not support. We are in the process of aquiring the upgrade to our SAN switch software to see if this corrects the issue. I will post if this corrects the issue or not. As of this date the problem still exsists.

Scott