ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753948 Members
7648 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL385 and supplied RAID Controller module

HilTek

BL385 and supplied RAID Controller module

Recently our company received two ProLiant BL385 servers, which we upgraded with additional components without any issues.
However, in each of the box of the BL385 were included a RAID Controller module (291967-B21) which seems incompatible because it doesn't fit the PCI slot on the BL385 system board.
According to HP's web site this type RAID Controller (291967-B21) should be compatible with the BL385.
Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: BL385 and supplied RAID Controller module

First, I suppose it's DL385, BL385 does not exist. And if it's recently purchased, it would be a G2.
So it has: 4 Total PCI-Express slots: three x8 and one x4. And the RAID controller you purchased is a Smart Array 642, which is PCI-X. That's why it does not fit on the slot.
You can use it on the server replacing the PCI raiser by the optional one with PCI-X slots.

Optional mixed 2 PCI-X / two x8 PCI-Express

NOTE: All Ultra 320 controllers are PCI-X and require the Mixed Riser Cage Option Kit (PCI-E/PCI-X).

HP PCI-X/PCI-E NHP RISER DL385G2 -- 410570-B21
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: BL385 and supplied RAID Controller module

Hi,

like vcespon mentioned for the installation of the SA 642 you need a PCI-X(3.3 PCI slot).
vcespon already answered your question. If it was DL385 G1 then the controller must fit, because you have enough PCI-X slots.

But if it is DL385 G2, then I don't see a reason why you received such controller, when there is no PCI-X slot. Do you want to connect a MSA storage box to it or maybe a tape? I don't get it...