Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BL460c G5 - not picked up by DNS

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

BL460c G5 - not picked up by DNS

Hello,

We recently got 4 HP Proliant BL460c G5 units.

The blades are not being picked up by the DHCP. I can ping the iLo2 interface with either IP or DNS name. But I cannot get a system address or recognition to deploy an image to them.

The other issue, is that I received none of the default passwords for the BL460c G5s. 'Administrator' and a blank password doesn't do anything, and there was neither the little plastic tabs that have it all writen out on it, nor the cardboard tags with the bits of string.

I know this seems like a silly way to describe the issue, but any help or even just pointing me to whom I would contact to have this resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

-Aaron
4 REPLIES
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: BL460c G5 - not picked up by DNS

The server NICs are connected to a different network interface that the ILOs. What networking option is installed in the enclosure? Is it configured? connected?

The easiest way to get to the ILOs is through the OA. Log in to the OA using Administrator and the password on the OA tag. You can get/sat the OA IP using the display on the front of the enclosure.

The ILo passwords are on the plastic tags that slide in to the left side of each blade. In case you want to log in without going through the OA.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Alright, well, I guess then what I'm trying to say is that there are no OA tags with these blades for whatever reason. None of those spiffy little grey tabs to pull out, and no stickers / anything with default administrator / ip / passwords on them.

These blades just show up with the ' i ' symbole over them if I look up their enclosure with HP SIM.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

By the "OA tag", Ken is referring to the tag that comes with the Onboard Administrator module _in the blade chassis_, not on the blade itself. I'd expect it to be the "piece of cardboard on a string" type, tied to the OA module at the back of the chassis.

The chassis OA has a way to bypass the normal iLO2 authentication, if iLO2 is accessed through the OA. So if you can access the chassis OA, you should be able to access the blade iLOs too.

The BL460c series blades _do_ have a plastic information tab. It is located beside the blade ejection handle.

When I prepared my first BL460c blades, I noticed a little catch: if you need to remove the hard drive cage for any reason, the tongue of the plastic information tab tends to get caught with the HD cage when it is replaced. If this happens, the tongue of the info tab gets folded out of sight and the tab won't be accessible unless the HD cage is removed again.

Using a knife blade or some other flat object to pry the tab out did while the HD cage is in place did not seem workable: the tongue seems to get stuck rather tight between the drive cage and the blade shell, and it would be difficult to use enough force to get it out without the risk of breaking/tearing something.

The fix: before reinstalling the drive cage, pull the info tab out to make sure it won't be caught.

Installing the SmartArray cache module requires the removal of the drive cage, and that cache module is essential if good disk performance is required. So if your blades are equipped with SmartArray BBWC modules, whoever has installed the module may have "hidden" the info tabs of the blades by accident.

MK
MK
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

That's wonderful, and thank you for pointing out that the tabs are just bent in behind the faceplate. I'm going to bet that's the reason why some of these devices 'dont have them'.

Is there any suggestions for how to resolve the issue about the BL460c G5s not being displayed as healthy and available in HP SIM? It just displays the qhite circle with an exclamation mark as opposed to the green check mark.

All the event says is:

------------
Event Severity Informational
Cleared Status Not cleared
Event Source HP Systems Insight Manager
Associated System MXQ849016N
Associated System Status Informational
Event Time Tue, 1/27/2009, 11:27 AM PST
------------

and the information icon doesn't disappear, and the system never gets cleared.

(I understand if it's better to just repost this as a seperate issue)