1748093 Members
5805 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460c G6 memory issues with 2Gb DIMMs

Hani Lanzi
Occasional Advisor

BL460c G6 memory issues with 2Gb DIMMs

i have 460c G6 blades and i upgraded some to 48Gb of RAM (12x4Gb DIMMs)
and have a lot of 2Gb DIMMs available which were installed before.
However when i tried to build a test server i packed it with 12x2Gb DIMMs but all i get is a beep and a server red light is blinking.
I've tried with different 2Gb DIMMS and no matter if i just use 1 or 2 or 6 or all twelve i get same result.
Now if i put 4Gb DIMMs into the blade it powers up fine and no problems.
I probably went through about 40 2Gb DIMMs and no luck, that tells me its not the RAM issue but the firmware/bios/... or what could it be.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Hani
7 REPLIES 7
JDFC
Advisor

Re: BL460c G6 memory issues with 2Gb DIMMs

Hi

could you indicate what the 2Gb models are (PC3-10600R, PC3-10600E, PC3-8500R etc...) and what is the chip manufacturer. Did you verify that all modules are the same type registered or unbuffered.
As you had no problems before using all these Dimms on the same server model, you should check what difference you have between your production and test servers.
You could have a hardware issue on the test server but before you need to check the system rom version and ensure it is at least the same revision that on your production servers. Also do you have any indication in the server IML ?

regards
Jean-Denis
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

See this manual:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01708947/c01708947.pdf

Page 28, and verify that they're all either RDIMM or UDIMM modules.
(They can't be mixed)
Hani Lanzi
Occasional Advisor

@JDFC,
these RAM DIMMs are the original ones we've got when we purchased the blades, they are HP branded but the other sticker says hynix 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600E - 10 - E0.
HP part number 500209-061.
last week i tried to erase NVRAM when i put 6of these in and the server turned on, but when i upgraded to all 12 it went to the same state again, i can't get any video via iLO and the red LED is blinking on the server.
I tried to put the original 6 ones in and cleared the NVRAM again and nothing.
i tried this with over 40 DIMMs.
i can't imagine all of my dimms are dead.
there's gotta be an explanation.Thank you
Hani
Ted Steenvoorden

I am also experiencing problems with BL460c G6 blades and 2 GB Hynix DIMM's. These DIMMS are HP branded and also have a label with Hynix (Korea 07) 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600E.

The BL460c G6 blades are running fine, but when I power off the blade, remove the blade from the C7000 enclosure and reinsert the blade in a C7000 enclosure the blade won't boot properly. The iLO screen stays black and the C7000 active cooling fan keeps running on full speed. After a while the IML log reports uncorrected memory errors on DIMMS.

Replacing the DIMMS corrects the problem, however this has happened to me with already 5 blades. We are currently reseating blades through multiple C7000 enclosures but I have stopped this project until this matter is clear. All DIMM's with errors are of type Hynix (Korea 07) 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 10600E.
lando_uk
Advisor

Did this ever get resolved? as Im having the same problem with spare 2GB DIMMS and several BL460c G7's.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

are those dual or quad ranked 4GB modules. quad rank might only allow 12 sticks per blade like a Proliant.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Have you contacted HP support about this? There is a known issue regarding certain 1, 2, and 4 GB DIMMs.

Lando - I don't believe this is you're problem as this was an issue and a resolution put into place well before the G7's were released.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..