1753795 Members
6920 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL495c Memory speed

Igal Baldran

BL495c Memory speed

Hello, I would like to order an BL495c Blade for VMware and I would like to know if the AMD memroy spped limitation is still in this system or that the new processors on the BL495c Blade overcome it. I Mean in standard AMD systems the third memory bank force the memmory speed to get down from it's standard speed. For example if I use 667MHz memory then if I install more then 2 banks the base speed go down to 533MHz. Please advice. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: BL495c Memory speed

BL495c specs..

Memory

NOTE: Memory configurations listed do not apply to "Factory Integrated Models".
DIMM installation guidelines:

All DIMMs must be PC2-5300 Registered DDR2 DIMMs (667 MHz) or PC2-6400 Registered DDR2 DIMMs (800 MHz).
PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMMs are only supported with the AMD Opteron processor Models 2378, 2382, and 2384.
Both DIMM slots in a memory bank must be populated.
Both DIMMs in a memory bank must be identical.
Processor 1 memory bank A must always be populated.
DIMM banks are active only when the corresponding processor socket is populated.
If installing only one bank on a processor, populate the bank physically farthest from the processor.
If mixing DIMM sizes on the same processor, the largest capacity DIMMs must be populated in the bank physically farthest from the processor. The smallest capacity DIMMs must be populated in the bank physically nearest the processor.
For optimal performance in most applications, populate the first memory bank for every populated processor socket.

HP ProLiant BL495c G5 Server Blade
Standard Memory
4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB) of PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, Registered DDR2 ECC DIMMs.

Standard Memory Plus Optional Memory
Up to 118784 MB of PC2-5300 or 61440 MB of PC2-6400, Registered DDR2 ECC DIMMs. Memory is available with the installation of optional PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, Registered DDR2 DIMM memory expansion kits.

Standard Memory Replaced with Optional Memory
Up to 131072 MB of PC2-5300 or 65536 MB of PC2-6400, Registered DDR2 ECC DIMMs. Memory is available with the removal of standard memory and the installation of optional PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, Registered DDR2 DIMM memory expansion kits.

Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Igal Baldran

Re: BL495c Memory speed

Hello, I am confused; it is a common knowledge that AMD has a limitation when populating more then two banks of memory. Due to DDR limitations the memory FSB must get down when more then two banks of memory installed, otherwise there will be electric issues in the memory bus. Unless HP did some thing to overcome it (like IBM did in it├в s servers) the limitation is still there or AMD fixed it. I can not find any reference to that. A colleague from Japan told me that in the Japanese BL495c configuration guide this limitation is documented. Please advice. Thank you.