Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Parity Initialisation on Smart Array 6400

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Background Parity Initialisation on Smart Array 6400

Hi All,

I have noticed that when RAID arrays are created on the smart array controllers (the recent one I noticed was on SA6402/128), one of the status messages for the logical drive displayed through ACU and also at POST indicates that background parity initialisation has been queued.

I created a RAID 5 array with 9x72GB drives and gave it more than 100 hours. The message still says parity initialisation is queued and would begin when I/O is performed on the logical drive. Note that the OS has not been installed on the system, hence although I am tempted to create a dummy txt file or something on this drive and see if this starts the parity initialisation process, I can't do this at the moment.

I am curious though, what this means? Does anyone have any clue? Would creating something like a dummy txt file really start the parity initialisation and if thats true, how does it all make sense?

Regards,
2 REPLIES
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Background Parity Initialisation on Smart Array 6400

I have seen that on an MSA1000, which is based on Smart Array technology, too. It should be enough just to write a signature to the disk, as this is the first write.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Re: Background Parity Initialisation on Smart Array 6400

Here is some info

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX981005_CW01
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!