cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Parity Initialization

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Background Parity Initialization

I am using the smart start disk. I have (3) 18.1gb scsi hard drives installed and imbedded smart array controller. Question is: During install, when i get to the Array configuration utility, after configuring, when i try to save, array configuration utility warning message appears telling me that the array is currently performing background parity initialization on the logical drive i created. Is this normal? How long does it take? I don't see any documentation about this. When i go ahead and continue with the install of the os i get an error saying no hard drive configured. I'm at a dead end and have tried everything i can think of. Even erasing the config and starting from scratch. Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Background Parity Initialization

I had initially the same configuration in my server as yours. At the beginning, I was facing the same problems when I tried to install WinNT 4.0 manually. The background parity initialization process looks to me normal. If you leave the server a couple of hours idle (i.e. At DOS prompt), this message will not bother you again. I wasn't able though, to install manually Win NT Server because of the Smart Array driver. The only way was, using from the beginning the Smart Start CD and selecting Automated installation.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Background Parity Initialization

Problem solved, thought i'd reply just in case anyone else has this problem. Since i was installing terminal server i had to use the manual install. When you get that error it is normal, you just exit and continue with installation.
Pankok, to get past the smart array driver problem, you hit F6 when NT is starting, this will skip the detection of mass storage devices and let you manually install the array drivers from floppy. Don't forget to also install the ide cd rom if you have one. Then continue with install as normal. I was told by compaq tech support that with the manual install, this is the only way to do it. Don't think this is a problem with assisted installation. Thanks for your reply.