1753538 Members
4773 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup always fails on DL380 G5

chongkan
Trusted Contributor

do you get any error on IML or event viewer?
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

No.

The only error I get is in DP and it is 'Cannot write to device: Unknown error'

Thanks

Nathan
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

I am running all the latest relevant DP 5.5 packages mentioned on the first link, but the PDF was interesting when talking about x64.

Can I assume that every one of the DP5.5 updates available for 2003 is x64 ready? And is the PDF doc talking about installing DP in the past when x64 was first avilable?

All our lics are up to date. We have a basic CC and an extra media license.

When I enable the tape in device manager but leave the medium changer disabled, I am then able to Format and Scan the tape in the drive.

But now how do I use the slots?

And I think this might be moving away from real problem.

Thanks

Nathan

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Nathen,

"Can I assume that every one of the DP5.5 updates available for 2003 is x64 ready?"
NO (i think)

"And is the PDF doc talking about installing DP in the past when x64 was first available?"

NO, this white paper was released last year.

"All our lics are up to date. We have a basic CC and an extra media license."

OMNITRIG LicenseWarning 1 license(s) need to be purchased for category "Manager-of-Managers Extension for Windows"

1 license(s) should be purchased for category "Single Drive for Windows / NetWare / Linux"

These 2 warnings are repeated in the EventLog. What does omnicc -check_licenses -detail say ???

"When I enable ....tape in the drive."
Interesting.
This may be similar to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873337/en-us

Regards,
James.
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

I thought you were onto a winner with that MS link. I pretty much described the problems we are experiencing. I modified the registry and requested the hotfix and was told there wasn't one for x64.

And the first page then pointed to this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933682/ and this did have a hotfix for ltotape.sys and this was for x64.

But sadly, none of these solved my problem. The backup still crashes.

I am not sure where ltotape.sys fits in. The tape drive uses hplto.sys.

I have attached the lic info. I am not sure why it says MOM lic needed as MOM isn't installed. We are over the tape limit but are only using 2 at a time. When we get the LTO drive working we will be 1 media lic over.

Thanks

Nathan
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

I have seen similar items regarding block size and SP1/2 for Windows 2003.

We are running SP2 for x64 and we do have the recommended or higher versions of the storport.sys, tape.sys and are now running 1.0.5.1 of hplto.sys.

I don't know where to go.

Is it possible to setup some debugging on these drivers?

And thanks for your continuing interest in this topic.

Nathan
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I know Nathan, this is not going anywhere!!!
I am searching on EVERYTHING which is just related to TAPE/DP5.5; LOL ! just trying luck !

Refer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=42921&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00718488

At this point Im not even sure if this is related; My thoughts are BLOCKED for this issue now. My apologies, if this is not related.

Regards,
James.
Nathan Simpson
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

I know this is a long time past but I thought I would let you know why the backup was always failing.

It was the HBA driver. Although I had tried a number of version, I never did but should have gone back to the 05 version.

This fixed all our problems.

Thanks

Nathan
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Nathan,
Yea..Long time... how have you been ?
Thats kool to know that its working great now(touch wood). Drivers ? Off lately, many new versions are having trouble. Keep an eye on the new driver releases. Try it on a test server first.
;)

:) Regards.