1752661 Members
5627 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bad Memory module

Dezul
Occasional Visitor

Bad Memory module

I purchased 3 drives for a ML350 G6 Server to set up a RAID 5 array. I didn't realize until after I installed them that I needed a memory module to get RAID 5 to work. I found the part, 462967-B21, and ordered it off Amazon (don't judge, cheap client!)

The first part that came was the battery and a 256MB memory module, when I had ordered a 512MB module. I didn't installed the 256MB and requested the seller send me the 512MB module. That module was sent, and I moved the battery to the 512MB module.

This morning i attemtped to install the new module into the server. During POST, it was taking longer than normal. Eventually it started the boot order, but did not recognize the installed hard drives. I can only assume there is a conflict between what's on the drives and the module, which is likely blank due to not having a battery. Unlike some other RAID controllers I've worked with, I couldn't find an option to overwrite the memory settings and boot to "drive settings" or something similar. I didn't have time to dig around the regular BIOS to see where I could adust the P410i settings. So I let it just try to boot. During the boot with the memory installed, I did not see the hard drive lights flashing, so they weren't being seen.

After 10 minutes, I gave up and took the new module out, and the server booted fine. But I"m still of course unable to use the module and thus a RAID 5 option. Am I missing something? I can try again, but I'll have to do it later in the day/end of the day to minimize customer impact. Will using the 256MB module make it better or worse? I don't really care which one is used, just as long as I can get RAID 5 working.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You should see a message in post like this (without errors :-)):

indicated by Smart Array <MODEL> <Cache Size, Firmware> <# of logical drives>

Did you see something similar?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dezul
Occasional Visitor

Is that viewable "behind" the initial post screen, where it shows the blue bar showing progress? I would only see options at the bottom for F9 for BIOS or F11 for Boot Order. I never saw the controller screen. The server would try to boot to the CD-ROM, then it said there was no hard drive info, press any key to try again. I didn't see any option for pressing F8, but I may be wrong.