ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Method for Replacing Failing Drive in RAID5 Array?

TonySinFL
Occasional Advisor

Best Method for Replacing Failing Drive in RAID5 Array?

One of the drives in a RAID5 array is failing, according to diagnostics sent to HP for interpretation. HP sent me a new drive.

I'm wondering if it's better to add the new drive and let it catch up THEN pull the bad one or just pull the bad one and put the new one in in one fell swoop and let the array rebuild from there?

Suggestions?
2 REPLIES
cnb
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Method for Replacing Failing Drive in RAID5 Array?

Hi Tony,

It depends upon your hardware/software configuration. If the drive is faulted hard (red led) and already non-functional, then doing a hot swap should be ok. You need to make sure your hardware firmware and application (i.e ACU (if you use it)) is up to date, as some older legacy controllers and disk drives with out-dated firmware didn't recover cleanly. If you have the space and capability, then add the drive as a hot spare and let the array recover before pulling the faulty drive.

If the drive is not faulted then you'll have to fail it through the software or force it through the hardware by pulling it.

As stated, it all depends upon your specific hardware and software configuration.

Just make sure you have a good backup and tested recovery procedures before doing any hardware repairs.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Method for Replacing Failing Drive in RAID5 Array?

The ACU and SA arrays do not have a "force fail drive" feature. This feature is available only on standalone array systems.

I have not had to replace a running drive yet. My first though is that pulling the old drive and inserting the new one would do it but you should call HP and verify that you can actually pull the drive.
If you think about it how much different is pulling a good drive while runing fine from having a drive hard fail by itself while running?

As always run a full backup befor starting the drive replacement work.