3378 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Best Practice Logical Drives?

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Best Practice Logical Drives?

Hi,

I'm wanting to make sure our servers are partition in the correct way and there's 2 options available.

1) Using Smartstart and the ACU create a RAID 1 logical drive per drive letter ie C + D and deploy to these. Windows sees 2 drives within Comp Man ie Disk 0 and Disk 1

2) Create 1 RAID 1 logical drive and then create a small partition for C: on here and then within Windows create a second one on the remaining space. Windows sees 1 drive within Comp Man ie Disk 0 but with C + D on it.

Which is best?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Hy Jase

1#If you want people to answer you re questions make sure you apply you're points in you're thread, it help to get answers,in you re profils it show 7 answers no points given..that bad!IT IS IN EVERY ANSWER HAS UNASSIGNED next to time and date.

2#how many physical drive do you have?

3#what servers do you have?

i'll give the best pratice,usally drive C: is OS given RAID 1+0, and drive D: is RAID 5.
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Sorry about the points not being assigned, thats me not really paying attention.

In this instance there's just the 2x 146 GB drives. If I installed manually then I'd created the drives in a way which gave me Disk 0 (C) and Disk 1 (D) but via RDP to capture the drive setup I've been told to use a single Disk 0 and create partitions on here so that it can be redeployed later.

The server in this instance is a BL460c G6.

Thanks
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

For this kind of type we have BL460 with two drive give it a RAID 1+0 and if you want more space go for a SAN.That what we did WORK super!!

Dan
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi

I think you misunderstand. It's more the setup of the logical drive(s) that I'm querying. We're deploying a Blade which will have a C and D drive but I'm just trying to ascertain which if any is the best arrangement for the partitions.

Thanks
Markus M.
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

imo the best practice is:
1 array, RAID 1+0, two partitions 1 (small, depending on OS) and a bigger data partition from inside Windows.
We do this all the time with mostly all of our server.
So this is your "option 2" i├В┬┤d suppose.

regards
Markus
georgemad
Advisor

Setup that works for me is,

Setup the 2 by 146 GB drives as RAID0+1 via ACU

For the Windows OS Setup C: (Boot) to the amount of room required for OS+ Apps (40GB)

The remaining make as D: for DATA

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

in our enviroment, we always consider the purpose of the server, if its a HP server, we always make the raid configuration with the SMARTSTART CD ( ACU RAID configuration ), and next step to install the OS.

most of our servers have raid 1 ( two disk only ) some have raid 5.

we always making separate partition for the system, if we have some requirements for the space the aditional Disk capacity will be used from SAN.

mikap
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I'm not a wise guy on this.
But in my opinion: Option 2.

The reason is: If you have got 2 logical drives on an array, and some time in the future, you want to replace the drives to bigger drives, you can extend the last logical drive only. the first can't be extended.

From a security or performance point of view, I see no difference.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo