ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753679 Members
5681 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Best Practices for NIC teaming

daxvancamp

Best Practices for NIC teaming

I'm looking for documentation about NIC teaming.
I know there are a few possibilities for fail-over or load balancing but I want to know if there is a BEST PRACTICE guide ?

Should I use a fault-tolerant or a load-balancing solution and which one is the best.

All servers have 2 NIC's that are teamed and distributed on different switches ( some in a stack, some on 2 different platforms )

It's a mix of servers, file servers, citrix servers, and so on....
1 REPLY 1
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Practices for NIC teaming

After the teaming driver is loaded, each NIC should be manually set to the maximum speed and full duplex. Then, the NICs should be selected and Team should be chosen. Lastly, the Teaming Controls should be set to Load Balancing and Switch-Assisted Load Balancing. Load balancing can be achieved through MAC address or IP address. Using the MAC address for load balancing is advantageous since it is performed at Layer 2, which is the same OSI layer where the switch port resides. Teaming by IP address is not recommended since IP addresses can change and are dependent upon server configuration and MAC address. After configuring NIC teaming, reset the TCP/IP address of the single newly teamed virtual NIC; failure to do so will likely result in the NIC defaulting to a 169.254.x.x address, which will not communicate properly with the server farm in citrix has exemple.