Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to config storage for Server 2012 R2

user76
Visitor

Best way to config storage for Server 2012 R2

Hi All,

Have a DL380 G8 to test Server 2012 R2 on and looking for advise on how best to configure the hard disks for best performance and hopefully using some of the newer storage pool tech with tiering.

Server has 4x 600gb SAS and 2x 100GB SSD.

Initial setup by HP Int Provisioning set it as RAID 10 (my normal setup) with one partition C:, I didn't like that so redid with a 200GB C: and now have a 1TB empty space which I can either make another parition or create a storage pool, from where it seems I can then mount VHD's and mount them.

So just seeing how people are doing it as seems Server 2012 R2 brings in some features to help people do software raid etc, but how best to proceed if you already have good hardware RAID but still want to use the newer features of Win Server.

Cheers

U76

6 REPLIES
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Best way to config storage for Server 2012 R2

Hi,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but do take a look at these documents:

Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

Implementing Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 on HP ProLiant servers.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

user76
Visitor

Hi Suman,

Yes, I did find and read the R2 version of the doc, but it doesn't really show anything along those lines.

Just wondering how anyone else is setting this up, as I'm not sure HP will go down to this level as so many variables.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I always try to set RAID levels and sizes based on what the server will be doing. SQL is different than file serving which is different than web serving.

I like the idea of using the pair of 100GB SSD drives in a RAID 1 for the OS because I love having my OS boot up quick.

But that's on my desktop... on a server, once it's booted up and running stuff, you want your fastest drives available for whatever that server's actually doing.

On a SQL server, there's all the usual advice about having your data drives be optimized for fast reads, and RAID 5 might be fine. The log drives do more writes so a RAID 1 is a good idea, etc.

File servers would be fine with RAID 5 since you probably want to maximize space, and the speed of RAID 5 isn't likely to be an issue... it's probably more reads than writes, and you're limited to network speeds in any case.

But those are general guidelines, and each situation is unique. Server 2012 R2 has some new bells and whistles but I don't know that any of them would necessarily be a paradigm changer for those tried and true guidelines about RAID levels, and tailoring them to the application.
user76
Visitor

Hi Waaronb,

Agree with you on using standard RAID, I usually use RAID 10 vs RAID 5/6 though, but that's just personal choice.

But still trying to work out how to mix the classic setup with the new features of Server 2012 which will dynamically put hot blocks onto the SSD and cold blocks onto your spindle disks to get the best performance most of the time.

Think I may re-ask this question in some microsoft forums.

thanks all

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Yeah, probably a good idea to ask on the MS forums. The storage spaces features are broad enough that you'll get better answers there for general use. As far as it applies to the Proliant servers, I don't see any issues with using it, and it would be up to you whether you want to RAID 0 or RAID 1 the SSD's and RAID 10 the spinning disks, or whatever you need.

Good luck! It's always fun to explore the new features in any OS, especially if it's something that directly impacts your needs (and not just a new whizbang feature like Metro) :)
user76
Visitor

Yeah, just want to ensure I get maximum bang for buck and the new features of the new O/S can ensure that if setup right, but all the MS videos/discussions seem to revolve around simpler hardware or not using hardware raid rather letting the O/S do software raid etc.

Hmm Metro, that's been fun to learn how to use that.. NOT! (Also, I think they got sued so it's now Modern UI)

Thank again for the input, if I get anything solid from MS i'll post it back here.