1752426 Members
5645 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Better support

Anonymous666
Occasional Visitor

Better support

Hello i was hoping for better support on older servers like DL180 G6 on Xenserver 7 here is the problem im having, after alot of messing around i got ACU (HP Array Config Utility)  working on xenserver 6.5 then i did an upgrade to 7, i followed these steps https://www.penninkhof.com/2012/06/how-to-install-hp-array-config-utility-acu-on-xenserver-6/ as the only other guide I could find is https://www.venemaadviesgroup.com/xenserver-6-5-hp-management-software/ but the second one gives errors that its missing files that the first gives, so that seemed better, anyway so everything was working fine and when I updated to xenserver 7 I now get this error https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eh49uv3mbzq8w8/2017-01-09_15-19-23.png?dl=0 I have a HP DL180 G6 with a P410 (No i)with battery backup and 1GB write back cache, I wanted to install the ACU this way because then I can expand raid array without rebooting or turning off server, any help you can give would be fantastic, thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous666
Occasional Visitor

Re: Better support

Xenserver forum has been very buggy for me and have not be able to post anything always get errors while posting.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Better support

As far as I know Citrix XenServer 7 doesn't officially support (also: isn't officially supported by) neither HPE Smart Array P410/1G FBWC 2-ports Int PCIe x8 SAS Controller (572532-B21) nor the HP ProLiant DL180 Gen6 Rack Server. That's it [*].

The fact you were able to find workarounds (for XenServer 6 or 6.5) doesn't change basically the reality imposed by Citrix and HPE for XenServer 6.5 and newer 7 (with "imposed" I mean technical roadmaps related to device drivers availability and/or to Hardware configurations support/certifications): playing for personal use is quite different than deploying for production use in SMB/LB.

When you plan production usage you start from the end: if I want to deploy XenServer 7 with HPE Hardware, which Hardware should I choose? which Hardware (if any) is certified and supported? and so on...

Reference for Storage Controller and Servers supported by XenServer: HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) is here, select categories and apply filters to match you actual Hardware (Server and Storage Controller) and see what are the results.

Reference for HPE ProLiant Servers and Citrix XenServer: here., that's another good source of information to understand how officially feasible are a XenServer deployment with HP/HPE ProLiant Hardware and related accessories.

[*] That is true not only when you think about a fresh install of XenServer 7 but also - and especially - when you have a working XenServer 6 or 6.5 and you're planning an upgrade to XenServer 7 (if that upgrade is really possible with the Hardware/Software configuration you have).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner