1753767 Members
5542 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bigger HD

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Bigger HD

Got a phonecall from a customer, asking for a bigger HD. Need some answers before answering customers questions. Is the original HD an EIDE or SCSI drive? Are there any limits for the HD capacity? (Fearing bios 8GB limit seen on many MoBos some years ago.)
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This server has an onboard Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 controller and EIDE, but the CDROM is usually the only EIDE device while the drives are SCSI. There's no hot plug drive bay on this model and the largest Compaq internal Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 drive was an 18.2GB drive (336370-B21) or you could purchase a new controller that supports Wide Ultra2 or Wide Ultra3 controllers and use those types of drives. Good luck.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks sgunelius!
I'm in Sweden. You too?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Not in Sweden, but some of my relatives were from there and I grew up in Minnesota. Also, your customer could attach an external storage cabinet that supports hot plug drives and you could expand storage that way. I've got a few 800's with SMART-2DH or SMART-3200 array controllers and external storage cabinets with 9, 18 and even 36GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 hot plug drives.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks again. The external storage cabinet solution you suggest is a very good one, but I'm afraid that this particular customer will not agree on that. For messages outside the scope of this forum my e-mail is lars@hagermark.com.