ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752808 Members
6195 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bios detection of disk replacement without reboot

zoni

Bios detection of disk replacement without reboot

I have a DL380G5; one of the hard drives failed. I'm not worried about the data, at this point, but, I do want to make sure the machine stays up during disk replacement. Normally, at boot time, we hit F8 to enter the array management to add logical drives. Is there a way to have the drive automatically detected at swap, such that I do not have to restart the system? Do I even need to worry about it?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi zoni,

If a RAID 1 or RAID 5 array was built with SAS drives on the default controller you should not have to worry about removing the faulty disk and inserting the replacement. The controller will recognize the drive and it will change to blinking green (status rebuilding array.) The server does not have to be powered off during this replacement.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you have the ProLiant Support Pack loaded, you can monitor the status of the rebuild in the System Management Homepage and/or the Array Configuration Utility.
zoni

Unfortunately, it is not either, and is a drive in an external MSA20. So, due to that configuration, if I understand correctly, the box will need to be rebooted, in order to recognize the new hard drive... Bummer...