5459 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade Server BL25P

SOLVED
Go to solution
Harbhajan_1

Blade Server BL25P

Hi, I just recevied a delivery of new BL25P server's and RDP 1.60. After installing the RDP software, I have noticed that there is no scripted install for BL25p Windows Server 2003 SP1 OS. Can anyone advice me on how I can build the first server using my current software or how I can obtain and update the install scritps for W2k3 sp1 OS for BL25p?

4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

If this is a new installation of Blade Servers and RDP, the first thing I would do is go grab RDP 2.1. Click below...

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/rdp/rdpwe210.html

Wipe out 1.6 and install 2.1 and see where you stand. There should be scripts for the bl25.

Now, the BL25P is technically the same at the bl20p except for the processors and mem config. It should have a 61 Smart Array so the BL20P script should work fine. You can try it first if you rather not get the latest and greatest.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Harbhajan_1

Wow , thanks for the reply. I have very little experience of blade servers - because of the late delivery of the hardware, I only have two weeks left to configure 18 Blades all are BL25p├в s. Sounds like to me you know what you are talking about, if you have any other valuable tips please feel free to pass them in my direction.

Once again thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I have been working with Blade Servers since the BL20p's were originally released. Since RDP 1.0.

RDP 1.0 was realllllllll BAD... to say the least, but I worked through it.

1.6 is a decent build, but 2.1 is a whole lot better and has more functionality and integration. I have not used it yet as I am stuck with 1.5 at the moment, but I have seen live demos at HP NYC office.

I would try the bl20p script first, just to see if it works saving you the trouble of rebuilding the RDP server with your limited time available to complete. I would say that you can complete the 18 blades inside a week.

When you get to the point that your ready to customize your unattended install text files, let me know. You can effectively configure ALL the options on your windows servers with unattend.txt, even promo to DC, install clustering, setting snmp strings, network settings, everything.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

One other difference that I've encountered between BL20p G3s and BL25ps is that the NICs are at different places on the bus and are enumerated in a different order. This matters to Linux, and it might matter in Windows if your unattend file calls NICs out by PCI address.

Once I changed my SuSE install script to install using "eth0" instead of "eth3", it installed correctly.