4195 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blade servers

Didier Pironet
Occasional Contributor

Blade servers

Hi,
I'm running a blade enclosure with 8 bl20pg2 blades and patch panels (no interconnects)

The issue is that I have to physicaly move the network cable to patch panel A to enable PXE but once the OS has boot up I have to put it back on patch panel B which is the default location BTW...

Is this a normal behavior with G2 (with G1 no such problem) ?

Thx for help on this.
Didier
4 REPLIES 4
Roy Main
Valued Contributor

Hmm... I wouldn't *expect* that to be the normal behavior.

I thought PXE was enabled on all the nics - but maybe not. Check the User Guide.

The routing of the ports is: iLO and 1 nic go to Side A. The other 2 nics go to Side B. On the switches there is a redundant path so you can always get to your blades when one of the switches is down. I don't know if this is true for the patch panels.

regards,
roy
Didier Pironet
Occasional Contributor

Hi Roy, thx for the answers...
Actually, we can't enable PXE on several NICs, just one at a time...

From what we've noticed here with G2 and patch panels, NIC1 and iLO go to side B and NIC2 and 3 go to side A.
And actually, in the OS, NIC1, 2 and 3 are working fine this way.

But once you need to boot up the server with PXE, we have to swap NIC1 on side B with NIC3 on side A.

Could you point me out some documents about setting blade, with G2 and patch panels ?

Cheers,
Didier

Roy Main
Valued Contributor

You need to download the ProLiant Blade p-Class System Setup and Installation Guide. This is at hp.com. Look at the support & drivers link and then choose servers. Choose the Blade servers and then look for the link for manuals.

The features list says that the three nics support PXE - however, in Chapter 2 of the guide the chart for the nics is a follows:

Side A: NIC1 - data & PXE NIC2 - data
Side B: NIC3 - data & NIC4 iLO

This explains why you must be connected to Side A for pxe. You should also be able to use that port for a standard ethernet data connection as well.

regards,
roy
Didier Pironet
Occasional Contributor

Hi Roy,
I found a document but it seems imcomplete or I'm missing something here...

The doucment :
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/papers/5982-2202en_rev2_us.pdf

Look at page #7, Figure #6. You have B1, B2, A3 and A4.

Is NIC#1=A3, NIC#2=A4 and NIC#3=B2 ?

Cheers,
Didier