1752794 Members
6536 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Blue Screen in Recovery Console on my DL380 G2

Patrick Coffey_2
Occasional Contributor

Blue Screen in Recovery Console on my DL380 G2

I have not experienced this on the first generation 380's but when ever I go into the recovery console (part of our stadard testing procedure preceding deployment)I get a blue scree with an error that reads: In Acessible Boot Device. If I boot up normally the server runs great. Two of my G2's do this. We also have a large number of DL580 G2's that are currently being brought online and so I tested the recovery console boot up from these servers with the same result. I even tried booting the recovery console off the Win2K disc and it comes up with a message stating that it cannot see any of the drives on the array.
I have the Smary Array 5i card in the 380's and the 5iPlus in the 580's. The latest firmware is running on both. Has anyone experienced this before with the G2 line? Any help would be much obliged.
2 REPLIES 2
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Blue Screen in Recovery Console on my DL380 G2

This is happening, because recovery console only works with controllers Win2000 has drivers for by default. This isn't anything having to do with the 5i's, but any newer controllers which required F6 to be pressed for during the install.

I assume you're attempting to select this in the boot.ini and not from the Win2000 cd. If you press F6 on the cd and specify the driver, it should work fine.

I would recommend using this method for getting this driver installed:
1) Copy "cpqcissm.sys" to the \cmdcons folder
2) Edit the txtsetup.sif file in the \cmdcons folder and add the following lines to the following sections: a. [SCSI.LOAD] cpqcissm = cpqcissm.sys,4 b. [SCSI] cpqcissm = "Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller Support Software for Windows 2000"

The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Patrick Coffey_2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Blue Screen in Recovery Console on my DL380 G2

Terry "Guru" Hutchings - Thanks for the assist. It worked and I am very appreciative of your sage like wisdom. I was getting a vicious knot on my head from pounding it against my desk for so long.