ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748256 Members
3997 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blue Screen when booting Win 2003 EE on ProLiant DL740 with Adaptec 3410S

Kevyn Masuko

Blue Screen when booting Win 2003 EE on ProLiant DL740 with Adaptec 3410S

I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my ProLiant DL740. System runs fine. However, when I try to install my Adaptec SCSI RAID 3410S card, the OS crashes when booting. Unfortunately the blue screen is only visible for a fraction of a second, so all I can add is the problem file appears to be "CPQPHP.SYS"

Anyone else try using an Adaptec card in your DL740?
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Kevyn:

Goto System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings and uncheck 'Automatically Restart'. This will freeze the system with the error onscreen. Record the stop code and the next few lines and post that here.

See if there's anything helpful here:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASR-3410S&prodkey=ASR-3410S

How much cache is installed on the 3410S? Have you tried a different card slot?

Make a great day!

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Kevyn Masuko

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply. I'll have to give your restart setting a try and hopefully I'll have better information to give you in my next post.

I already had the latest Adaptec drivers downloaded and ready to install. (I always download the latest drivers before starting any installation! ;) ) However, since I can't start windows with the card installed, the drivers are useless.

The card has 64MB cache installed... I'm planning on upgrading that to 256MB, but I figured I'd try to get the factory/stock configuration working before I tried to change anything.

I tried the card in 4 or 5 of the slots already. I suppose I could've tried all six, but I just didn't think it would matter.

BTW, I alos made sure the 3410S card has the latest BIOS updates, my ProLiant is running versions of firmware released with the "Firmware Maintenance CD Release 7.40" and I'm using the "Smart Start CD Release 7.40".
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Kevyn:

I'm not sure it will help but you can lie to the system and make Windows install the drivers before you install the hardware (use Control Panel/Add Hardware and tell it you've already installed the hardware and then click select "Add a new hardware device:" (bottom of list). Now select Advanced/SCSI and RAID Controllers and click the 'Have Disk' button and point it to your driver).

Have you tried W2K3 SP1?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Kevyn Masuko

Yep, tried that and tried that... Of course I haven't had SP1 on the system since the first install of the OS (I'm currently installing for the 3rd time. Trying different install orders hoping something works... How desperate is that?)

Here is that BSOD info:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xBACBF1B4,0xBACBEE04)

CPQPHP.SYS - Address BA56D6C0 base at BA55E000,DateStamp 408947da
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Kevyn:

FWIW, CPQPHP.SYS is a driver for the Compaq PCI Hot Plug Controller. I can't seem to find a newer version.

Make a great day!

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Kevyn Masuko

Yeah, I tried the latest version (6.3.2.1) when I first encountered this problem. (Here's the download: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20524.html) It didn't work either.

Roger, thanks again for all your suggestions. I think you've covered everything I've tried... I hope you have a few more tricks that I don't know about.

-Kevyn
Kevyn Masuko

Okay, HP support wasn't able to help at all... However, Adaptec support got it working!

The solution wasn't getting the latest versions for everything... I had to downgrade my 3410S card firmware version from 380E to 370F.

Score one for Adaptec support! :D

One final thanks again goes out to Roger for his help with this issue.