1752782 Members
6306 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot Failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Boot Failure

I have just purchased this unit as our Main server and it will not boot - the error message reads "Following SCSI drives should be replaced .... SCSI Port1 ID2" The machine will not boot further and says "non System Disk press F9" I cannot boot from CD to use the Restore disks and am unsure what to do next. Apart from the obvious - replace the HDD - what can I do? I do not want to replace the HDD if the machine is suspect. I only need to use the machine in a mirrored two drive array - is this possible?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Further to my message above, I think I must have lost the plot.............
Surely the only purpose of having a RAID array is to have built in redundancy, so that the system can survive a Hard Disk failure? I am not familiar (you guessed :) ) with Compaq Proliant systems, but a server which falls over with a suspect HDD is surely not a good idea? Can someone explain to me how the Proliant array works?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The question is wether the array was configured as RAID 5 (distributed data guarding). If it was not, the failure of one drive would lead to the loss of the information on that drive and to the inability to boot.
Depending on the array accelerator installed check the raid configuration either by using the systems setup or by the array configuration utility supplied on the smart start DC.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You array is missing one drive.
You have to reconfigure the array.
uste@hotmail.com