108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Boot disk created on SAN disk instead of local disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
cwilliams_2
Occasional Advisor

Boot disk created on SAN disk instead of local disk

When we load the OS using RDP on BL25p servers with a fiber card the server boot partition is created to the SAN storage instead of the local disk. This has destroyed data that is on the SAN storage. The only way around it so far is to remove the fiber card before attempting to reload the OS. Any tips on why is this happening?
13 REPLIES 13
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Boot disk created on SAN disk instead of local disk

What OS?

I don't do much with RDP, but if the OS is Red Hat, you can specify what disk to use in your kickstart file. SuSE can be done the same way in the autoyast file.
Most Linux installers will use /dev/sda before using /dev/cciss/c0d0

I'll have to look in some of my old files to give you some examples
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
cwilliams_2
Occasional Advisor

It's the Windows OS. We've had several builds overwrite the SAN connected data with a boot disk. The boot order has the array controller listed first.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello William,

If you are deploying Windows operating system, and two paths are set up to the
LUN (through both HBAs on a blade, for example), there could be issues.

Windows must be installed in a single path configuration.
To resolve the issue, either remove one of the HBA cables, or set up the SAN switch
zoning to allow access to the LUN from only the first HBA and one array controller
port. After Windows is installed, install the multipathing software, and enable the
second HBA to access the LUN.

Regards,
James.
cwilliams_2
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. That sounds like what's happening. We are rebuilding an existing server and the two paths are already zoned to the data.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I mainly do Linux installs but I'll check with the guys that do Windows and RDP and let you know thier response
cwilliams_2
Occasional Advisor

Thinking about this more. It's a manual process to go tell our storage guy to rezone the LUNs. Is there a command line that would allow us to disable the HBA at the beginning of the load process. We are using blades (p-class and c-class).

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't think it's a mulitpath issue. What you normally see there is multiple drives pointing to the same LUN.
cwilliams_2
Occasional Advisor

That's true, you would see the same drive twice without MPIO. Wonder why it would load the OS on it if it see's the same drive twice? It's like it's seeing the SAN disk as the first disk, so that's what it sets as the boot disk and then loads the OS. I appreciate all of your help.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello William,

From the Deployment Server, run a Windows scripted install job on the target
system. Optionally, configure the HBA, and install and configure StorageWorks Secure
Path on the target system. On the target system, use the SAN management software for your specific RAID array to create LUNs and present them to the target system according to the recommended instructions. Use the Disk Administrator utility to rescan for the new disks, and then partition, assign drive letters to, and format the disks.

Regards,
James.