cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot failure

Tuan Tran
Occasional Advisor

Boot failure

I have a ProLiant 2500 server that is failing it POST test and refused to boot. I am getting error message "172-EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization Aborted". It then proceeded through the SCSI controller check with no problem. It display an option to press F1 to continue or F10 for System Partition Utilities. When I press F1, the prompt just sit on a blank screen. If I put a bootable floppy in the drive, it will read the floppy for about a second and then just sit there. No light on the hard drive. If I press F10, it tells me that no system partition utilities is present and press any key to continue. Again, it just sit at a blank screen when I press any key.

Any idea? How do I boot to "DOS"? How do I get into the BIOS setup? I do have a set of floppies labeled EISA System Configuration Utility. But it doesn't do me any good if I can't boot it with a bootable floppy, the utility floppy, or hard drive.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Boot failure

Hello Tuan,
The best thing to do in your case would be to bring down the system to minimum configuration and then boot with the System Configuration Utility diskette or see if you can get your hands on a Smart Start CD 5.50 or earlier. Before you attempt all this please make sure that everything in your system is sitting in securly. Which means reseat the cables and all the boards.

Regards,
Tuan Tran
Occasional Advisor

The problem is that I can't ever get it to go pass the POST.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Tuan,
You did not confirm as to whether you have any third party hardware in the system or not. Have you reseated all the boards/cables etc?? If all else fails then you would need to clear NVRAM via switch on the system board. If you need assistance with that please let me know.

Regards,
Tuan Tran
Occasional Advisor

I have re-sitted all my connections. Result is the same, it can not get pass the POST screen. Can you tell me where the switch located? What else will be effected by resetting NVRAM?

Thanks.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Tuan,
You still did not confirm as to whether you have any third party hardware in the system or not. Until unless you confirm this I am not going to answer any of your questions.

Regards,
Tuan Tran
Occasional Advisor

The only software on it is MS WinNT 4.0 server and patches (at least patches that was available 2 years ago) and HP Openview NNM. I have verfied that the system work before putting it in storage. I have another box, identical to this one and running the same software, and it work.
e4services
Honored Contributor

In the time in storage, the battery that holds the hardware configuration has gone bad and/or the configuration stored has become "invalid" or bad somehow. So the System board does not know how the system is configured. I would try to "Clear" the CMOS to start again. It could be that the non-volitle memory is bad or has a bad connection from corrotion after the storage time.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Tuan Tran
Occasional Advisor

The battery being dead is probably the problem. If I install a new battery, how do I clear the CMOS and get back into the system setting to get the system back up? As I have mentioned before, it will not boot pass the POST screen, regardless if I am using the hard drive, floppy, or CDROM.

Thanks.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

There should be a large label inside the server box that describes function and location of lots of stuff including the dip switch.

I think the switch for 'NVRAM clear' is switch #6 but you should check verify this on the label before you try it.