Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot loader install fail debian DL360 G4

Daniel_305
Occasional Contributor

Boot loader install fail debian DL360 G4

Hi

I just got me self acouple of nice proliant DL360 G4 servers, I'm havent used them before and I run in to some problems when I tried to install Debian on them.

I'm using Debian Sarge (the AMD64/EM64 port) Everething when fine until the very last when it was time to install the boot loader. I tried both lilo and Grum and both complained that they couldn't install.

Since the drives where found and I manage to partition them and install the base packages, there should not be any problem with the cciss driver, or?

I heard that there was some flag to set in the ROM or something that told the mashine what OS it was running. What is all that about, could it be it. If so what does that flag mean?

Best regard
Daniel Malmkvist
1 REPLY
Daniel_305
Occasional Contributor

Re: Boot loader install fail debian DL360 G4

Hi
I manage to get aroud it by first install debian with failed grub install. Then boot from Fedora CD and go into rescue mode. chroot to the previous debian system installed on disk and execute "grub-install". It's a bit of a mess and I still don't know why it didn't work in the first place.. any comments abount this anyone?

regards
Daniel