1754014 Members
7730 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot sequence

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Boot sequence

I have a Proliant 1600 which is currently booting from an internal Compaq raid card, I would like to install an external disk array attached to an adaptec 2940 PCI controller. The moment I do this the server tries to boot from the external array rather than the system drives on the internal Raid card. If I disable the SCSI bios on the adaptec card, then the server detects the external unit but NT does not see it as a drive. I am looking for a way to force the server to boot from the Compaq raid card rather than any other device. Unfortunatly I did not install the server and the person who did, did not install the system partition.
Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The system configuation utility can be used by booting to floppy disks made drom downloadable softpaq SP16319.exe.
I am not familiar withthe bios on the Adaptec card but is seems like you should be able to turn it on and set it not to boot. In System Comfiguration utiltiy, the Array controller will have a setting for "controller order" and it should be set to "first". This is how we set our controller to boot.
Mark
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I would like to know if you found a solution to your above problem, I am running into the same problem. I am getting a 1706 error message when the 2940 adapted cards bios is enabled. When not enabled the system boots but I cannot see the external scsi drive.... any ideas thx
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Unfortunatly after a gazillion attempts and different options, time constraints forced me to abandon this option and search for a different solution. I ended up plugging the unit into an IBM Netfinity and for some stupid reason it worked first time. Same Adaptec card the works.
I appreciate the effort undertaken by all of you to help me here