4609 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Booting ProLiant 380 G5 without PPM module

SOLVED
Go to solution
LuisP

Booting ProLiant 380 G5 without PPM module

I have a Proliant 380 G5 in which we recently replaced the motherboard on, but when we did so we forgot to install the PPM modules on the new mobo before booting it now neither mobo will post and the old one use to post ok. can booting the server without the PPM module damage the processors?
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Booting ProLiant 380 G5 without PPM module

Hi Luis,

Server will not post if no PPM is installed. It will not damage the system board as its provides regulated power to correspondant processor rather processor might get affected.

if you don't take the precautions while setting up the system or replacing internal parts. A discharge of static electricity from a finger or other conductor may damage system boards or other static-sensitive devices.

troubleshooting that you can try:

Clear the NVRAM from the maintainence switch (When the system maintenance switch position 6 is set to the On position, the system is prepared to erase all system configuration settings from both CMOS and NVRAM)

Reseat the PPM retainer and PPM.

Check the processor for any bent pins

If you have two Processors and PPMs then you may swap them or install the second processor and PPM in the first slot and check with one processor and ppm only.

please refer to DL380 G5 service and Maintenance guide while following the steps suggested above.

if still does not work, log a case with HP to get the system board replaced as it might got damaged during processor installation.

Hope this helps,

thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Jake Mason
Advisor

It just sounds like a bent CPU pin. If you didn't touch the memory, then I wouldn't worry about that. If I had to guess, I would say re-seat the CPUs and make sure the pins aren't bent. Also try installing them one at a time.
LuisP

thanks for the suggestions, i went ahead the switched around the PPM modules and the system posted, it told me the processor was in the wrong slot, i switched it to the other one slot and now they both work fine, now i just have to figure out where to get the fan jumper because i'm getting the "fan solution insufficient" message
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi LuisP,

DL380 G5 comes with 12 Fans and 6 Fans configuration. which configuration do you have? how many fans you have?

In DL380 G5 6 fan configuration there is a jumper that goes on the one of the unused fan connectors (fan connector #6). If this jumper in not installed or not seated correctly you can get the error you are getting.

If jumper is missing, you may log a case with HP to get the Fan board replaced as jumper comes along with the fan board.

hope this helps,

Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided is helpful..:)

Cheers!
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

LuisP

yea with some googling i realized that the board needs a jumper in it if there is no fan connected and i know that 442955-001 comes with the jumper, however i'm trying to find out if i can get the jumper itself and not the whole board, is it a normal HD jumper or does it have anything spacial to it?