New Discussion

Re: Booting from USB DVD on DL380 G4.

SOLVED
Go to solution
trep
Occasional Contributor

Booting from USB DVD on DL380 G4.

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to boot from a USB DVD-ROM on a SCSi DL380 G4. There are no IDE connectors inside and the actual CD-ROM is connected via SCSi connection. I've tried to boot from a weird IDE to USB adapter but it didn't work.

So, i'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use SmartStart and then install 2008 Server from a USB DVD-ROM on this server and the procedure to do it.

Best regards,

trep
8 REPLIES 8
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

set bios to boot from usb ,
it will boot and follow the wizard, and create an array of choice,its actually straight forward after it loads ,

tricky4a
Advisor

I have tried this suggestion and it does not work! Setting USB during boot just bypasses a Buffalo USB DVD Drive and hangs trying to boot from c: hard disk. Any other suggestions? Did the person who "solved" this actually try it out on a real live instalation?

tricky4a
Advisor

If I ever get this solution I will screen shot it, because it appears it will be a first! DL380 G4 runs Windows 2008 Server Shock!
Perhaps I should just get a DELL?
Dave73
Regular Advisor

Convert your dvd to an iso and load it via virtual media.

tricky4a
Advisor

The DVD contains an ISO of Win 2008, not sure what you mean by virtual media, this would imply that it would have to be stored elsewhere, and the DL would have to go and get it. As the DL does not understand there is a USB bootable disk in a drive attached to it, discovering a virtual disk somewhere is probably beyond it at the moment.

Remember this is a BLANK DL380, i.e it has an unformatted HDD and that is it. I could plug it into a network and have an ISO on a network, but how do I get the DL to look for it?

tricky4a
Advisor

Here are a couple of photos,

They show screens from BIOS and when it is trying to boot, unsuccessfully!

taylorb
Advisor

Have you tried the official HP DVD drive? Perhaps it just doesn't like your BUffalo brand drive.   You might also try an internal drive as they are pretty cheap (Especially used) and they are pretty easy to remove and install without cracking the server.  

Also, the virtual media comment is in regards to using ILO to mount a virtual drive.   It works pretty well. 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You say "the DVD contains an ISO of Windows 2008", does that mean there is an ISO file on the media, or did the DVD get "burned" using an ISO image?  Is the DVD bootable in anything?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!