1748185 Members
4047 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Booting of a 5300 controller

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Booting of a 5300 controller

Please help, me boot my server off the 5300 controller. When I use the Smart Start CD to set up the system with all the drives attached to the 5300, it set's the integrated controller as the boot controller and doesn't see any hard drives. If I go into the 5300 setup and set it as the boot controller the Smart Start setup still doesn't recognize it.
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You have to disable the integrated controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Better to actually remove the integrated array module itself. This allows you to still use the regular SCSI functions of that embedded controller without the array in the way of the 5300 controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Remove the integrated Smart Array Controller if it's installed . From SmartStart CD when running the System Configuration Utility make cerrtain the 5300 is configured as " Controller Order First " .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I think that the problem is actually related to the version of smart start that you are using. I tried to setup an ML570 with v4.80 and I had the same problems as yourself. When I changed to v4.90 the system configuration recognised the controller as a 5300 and set it as the boot controller. Hope this helps !
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The 5300 controller must be set up with Smart Start ver 4.90 or newer. There is also a setup CD that should come with the controller that can used to set up the drives.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I ran into this also. I had purchased not only the 5300 but the module for the integrated SCSI too. Since i'm running a pair of 9.1's for boot, and 36's for storage, both from the 5300, i didn't need the functionality of the additional module. I removed it and it stopped complaining. All i'm using the integrated SCSI for is the DLT 40/80. Seems to be ok now...